Set up a Country (or State) for a user??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adwade
    • Jul 2006

Set up a Country (or State) for a user??

Directly below taken from Country thread per Steve Machol's suggestion of starting a new thread.

Notice Reference: Previous Country thread dated Oct 22nd 2006

I was looking for the same thing and ended up creating my own. I don't think this would qualify as a HACK, so I'll just post the details of what I did here...

1)Create a new Single-Selection Menu custom profile field called State/Country

2)In your Options box, copy/paste the states/countries I have in the attached ZIP file below

3)Set Default to Yes, but no First Blank Option

4)Set Field Required to Yes, Always

5)Set Field Editable by User to Only at registeration

I figure if someone messes up their selection, they can PM me to manually change it for them. If you leave it editable after they register, you may have users changing it for no good reason(s).

Anyway, it's how 'I' solved the problem as best as I could.

Note: I created the State/Country listing from several similar lists I tripped across on the internet. After merging three or four of them and removing the duplicates and checking the current (vs. historical) names of the countries it's what I managed to come up with.

(Moderator(s), feel free to MOVE this thread if it's better qualified for another forum on the board. )
    Attached Files
    Last edited by adwade; Tue 25 Sep '07, 7:34am.
    Shopping for a HOST? Ask me about A Small Orange

• adwade
    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by globalinsites
    Thanks man. That's great!

One question though: did you do this in vB 3.6.2 and did you add a Mulitple Selection Menu? Cause I don't see how I can do this:

3)Set Default to *Yes, but no First Blank Option*.

I don't think that a Mulitple Selection Menu would create a dropdown menu but it would list all the lines that are entered in the Options box.
    I did it in vB v3.6.0 and no, it's not a Multiple Selection, it's a Single-Selection Menu instead.

However, when I try to add a Multiple-Line Text Box then I don't see an Options box. So I'm not sure which type of profile field I need to add.
    I'm attaching a screenprint of my AdminCP, while editing this field so you can better see the setup.

I am in Add New User Profile Field by the way, perhaps I need to look elsewhere to add a custom profile field?
    Yep, that's where you need to be alright! Sounds like you're very close to having it fixed up.

EDIT: Note, in my screenprint 'Set Field Editable by User to Only at registeration is set to Yes instead of Only at registeration as I've been playing around with it some and had forgotten to resave it last time.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by adwade; Tue 25 Sep '07, 7:30am.

Comment

• adwade
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by dbtp
      I am looking at the above instructions, but they seem to be a little dated. The image you have attached here is not identical to the admin cp that I am using. I would like to set this up on my forums if possible, but I am a little confused on how to go about setting it up. I am currently using 3.6.8
      My screenprint was from v3.6.4, but my original (first post above) instructions should work with new versions unless something's been taken out of vB perhaps?

Comment

• dbtp
        • Sep 2007
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by adwade
        My screenprint was from v3.6.4, but my original (first post above) instructions should work with new versions unless something's been taken out of vB perhaps?
        hmmm. I see the description box, but no option box.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...