X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schenkp
    • Aug 2007

Simple Machines

Hi,
    I am interested in purchasing vBulletin, I like allot of the features etc. My only concern is that I am currently using Simple Machines to host my forums.

Is it possible to import all current messages etc during a conversion process or do we need a clean install of vBulletin and losing all of my current posts etc?

Thanks

Peter
  • Andy Huang
    • Feb 2004

Yes, our import systemp -- ImpEx -- will be able to help you convert your existing contents over. For a list of what it supports and what it can carry over, please see this help doc entry: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_module_dump
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

• schenkp
      • Aug 2007

Andy,
      Does this also import exisitng users?

Thanks

Peter

Comment

• Onimua
        • Apr 2005

This is what ImpEx specifically imports from SMF: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_smf
        Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• schenkp
          • Aug 2007

Lets say my current forum is www.myforum.com/forum, Can I use the same address for the vBulletin install while doing the conversion from SimpleMachines?

Comment

• Onimua
            • Apr 2005

I would recommend putting it in another folder in case there are file names that are the same and vBulletin might overwrite them (although I don't think it'd be that much of a problem since it's really the database you need in tact, but then you'd have a mess of mixed files).

When you're done transferring over the information and verifying everything works and is the way you want, you can simply delete the directory SMF is installed in, and then rename the folder to the new directory and update the settings in your ACP.
            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

• vlindertje
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Andy Huang
              Yes, our import systemp -- ImpEx -- will be able to help you convert your existing contents over. For a list of what it supports and what it can carry over, please see this help doc entry: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_module_dump
              Hello,

I have also a question about this.

At the moment we have supermod.org
              But our server at the host is going raise soon (so about novembre/decembre) to php 5
              And then our supermod community doesn't work then anymore.

We are looking for a good community and this one is really an option for us.

I take a look at the link i quote of you. But i see a lot of kind community's, but not supermod.

Do you know, if it also possible to import messages, members etc. from supermod to vBulletin?

Thanx vlinder

Comment

• vlindertje
                • Aug 2007

I wait a few days. Because i know everyone is busy.

But is there somebody, who knows the answer on my question, in the message next up this one?

Comment

• Andy Huang
                  • Feb 2004

Terriably sorry about the delay, we're a little undermanned these last few days due to numerious personal issues amongst the staff team, so although I've asked the ImpEx dev to check into this, I've completely forgot to report back his response to you.

Unfortunately, the supermod database is not available for convert at this time as this is the first time he heard about the system. If you absolutely want to try to convert from it, you can make a suggestion for this in the suggestion forum here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239696 and see if any community member can provide tips on how they've done this in the past and whether or not they can help you on a private contract basis. You can also consider opening a pre-sales ticket here: http://www.vbulletin.com/contact_sales.php address to our ImpEx developer to see if he can provide you with any inputs.
                  Best Regards,
                  Andy Huang

Comment

• vlindertje
                    • Aug 2007

Hello,

Thanx for your response.

A little information about supermod.org
                    Supermod is based on yabbse and the mods of yabbse and many extra are build in supermod.

You can see it as a large yabbse with many extra's.

Maybe with this information it is possible? So not, i will open a topic by one of the options you gave to me.

I hope to hear from you...

Comment

• Andy Huang
                      • Feb 2004

I really don't know for sure... YaBB 2.1 is supported with these imports as listed by the ImpEx guide:
                      * Import user
                      * Import forum
                      * Import thread
                      * Import post
                      * Import Private messages
                      * Import attachment

So, if it is as you said, built on top of it, we might be able to port some of those over assuming its not too heavily altered / modified to a point where the fundmental structural are changed. How big is your forums? Users/Posts/Total Attachment Size etc.? Please open a ticket attentioned to me if you could provide me a SQL dump to your site, I will try to work some time out to run it through ImpEx and tell you how much I was able to carry over.
                      Best Regards,
                      Andy Huang

Comment

• meadwench
                        • Jul 2007

I see ImpEx will do SMF 1.1.2. Does anyone know when 1.1.3 will be supported? I'm running a large forum on that version, and have decided to switch to VBulletin, just as soon as the import will handle my version.

Thanks!!!!

Vicky Rowe
                        Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
                        GotMead-posts about mead making, drinking mead, finding mead and mead in general

Comment

• Andy Huang
                          • Feb 2004

1.1.2 and 1.1.3 share the same database structure, so it will import what it can import fine
                          Best Regards,
                          Andy Huang

Comment

• meadwench
                            • Jul 2007

Thanks Andy, thats what I needed to know. Now I'll scrape up the cash and get my new forum!

Vicky

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...