X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • killa101
    • May 2004

cannot save Main CSS

Hello.

I am trying to edit my Main CSS for a template but whenever I try to save the changes, I get an Internet Explorer error page saying "Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format"

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
    Jordan

P.S. I recently upgraded from 3.5.4 to 3.6.7 and this is the first time I am trying to do a CSS edit since then.
  • killa101
    • May 2004

Bump.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

First, reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• cherylferraro
        • Oct 2005
        • 4.2.X

I'm having the same issue as killa101 but this is in a new install. I am familiar with vbulletin and haven't really had many technical issues with it on my existing domain. When I set vb up on this new domain I keep getting the 406 error while trying to customize the css. I don't think it's host related because there is another installation of vb on the same virtual hosting account under a different domain and that installation was a trouble free upgrade from 3.64to 3.67pl.

After reading Steve's instructions I deleted and reinstalled everything and was very careful with the ASCII uploads (for everything except images) and there are no plugins. I still receive the 406 error whenever I try to save the css.

What am I doing wrong?

Note: in IE I get a 406 error, in firefox a blank white page
        Last edited by cherylferraro; Sat 26 May '07, 7:58pm.

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Comment

• cherylferraro
            • Oct 2005
            • 4.2.X

I appreciate your efforts, thank you for the suggestion. I did create and upload the .htaccess file to the forum directory but still get the 406 error when attempting to save the css. I can change vbulletin options with no problem.

Any other idea what may be causing this?

Comment

• devilbrad
              • Apr 2006

I just came here to ask about this as I am having the same problem in with 3.6.7 in Firefox. The blank white page. I have another board that is still 3.6.4 and I'm afraid to update it if I will have this problem. Has anyone found a fix? What plugins are you guys running with 3.6.7? I have vBadvanced, No Spam, Prevent Spam, an arcade, and vBpic gallery. Maybe we all have something in common here?

Comment

• cherylferraro
                • Oct 2005
                • 4.2.X

The installation that sends me 406 errors whenever I try to save the css is brand new and has no template edits, products or plugins at all.

My installation of 3.67 (on a different domain using the same shared hosting account) that works perfectly is using: vbadavanced, vbseo, vbseo sitemap, flashchat integration, miserable users, prevent spam, phpadsnew integration, welcome headers, multiple login detector, archive adsense and a couple of Paul M's counters.
                Last edited by cherylferraro; Sun 27 May '07, 9:39am.

Comment

• devilbrad
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by cherylferraro
                  The installation that sends me 406 errors whenever I try to save the css is brand new and has no template edits, products or plugins at all.

My installation of 3.67 (on a different domain using the same shared hosting account) that works perfectly is using: vbadavanced, vbseo, vbseo sitemap, flashchat integration, miserable users, prevent spam, phpadsnew integration, welcome headers, multiple login detector, archive adsense and a couple of Paul M's counters.
                  I have my sites on different domains. They are actually mirror sites so I can test stuff on one and change it on the other. What host are you using for the faulty site? Mines on A Small Orange.

Comment

• cherylferraro
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 4.2.X

hhmmmmm, mine's on aso too.

Both of these installs are in the max size shared hosting account, one works perfectly, one gets the 406/blank page errors...

Comment

• cherylferraro
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 4.2.X

eeeek, I just tested my older domain and it's getting the 406 errors too!!!

My mistake, I assumed that it was working well but it's got the same problem.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

If the solution in post #5 is not working then you need to contact your host about this. They are probably prohibiting you from making this change in htaccess.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• devilbrad
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by cherylferraro
                          eeeek, I just tested my older domain and it's getting the 406 errors too!!!

My mistake, I assumed that it was working well but it's got the same problem.
                          Both installs are on ASO?? I only have the problem install on ASO, my other install is on Siteground. I never had this issue with the older version on ASO though.

Comment

• devilbrad
                            • Apr 2006

OK, I followed the link in post 5 but I'm not the sharpest cue ball. Exactly which file am I modifying, where am I putting the code in that file, and do I need to place anything in templates?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              • Jul 2000

You need to create a text file named .htaccess (note the beginning period), add those lines of code, then upload that file in ASCII format to your main forum directory.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...