Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • encryption
    • May 2005

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    Aside from naming there really doesn't need to be much difference between the two from a hosting standpoint. I have a "VPS server" and and it is exactly the same thing as posted in the first thread. Except I think there are ten users on the server.
    Have to disagree here, a VPS account is a completely different animal in terms of it's "functionality" as compared to a semi-dedicated package. The ONLY similarity they share is the fact that both package types allow for an extremely small number of hosted accounts on a single server (ranging between 5 / 10 depending on how large the accounts are and the build of the server). But that's about where the similarities end.

A VPS is like having your OWN private server within a large server. You can have your own OS installed, reboot your own Virtual Server and even have a dedicated amount of RAM/CPU time allocated to you. Essentially, you're renting a "DEDICATED" smaller portion of a much larger machine.

A semi-dedicated account on the other hand, there is no virtual server with different OS's installed. Its just one machine with a limited number of hosted accounts where all the accounts have access to the Servers TOTAL available RAM/CPU time with no limitations.
    Last edited by encryption; Fri 11 May '07, 11:07am.
    www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
    www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

• Doug Nelson
      • Aug 2001

Originally posted by encryption
      Its just one machine with a limited number of hosted accounts where all the accounts have access to the Servers TOTAL available RAM/CPU time with no limitations.
      Yes, that's what I found out (too late). My move to a VPS was actually a step down in horsepower from the semi-dedicated plan I was on. The available RAM is set by whatever level of package you buy, but always much less than the full available RAM. And the CPU is either fully shared by everyone (the option I'm on) or purchased in blocks (which I think might be better, but I don't know).

So this semi would have the same CPU allocation, only with fewer users (and probably better hardware), and much larger RAM (I guess unless everyone asks for it simultaneously). And it won't have the Virtuozzo RAM overhead (might be trivial, but I've read that it might not be).

Comment

• encryption
        • May 2005

Yes you will have access to more of resources but this is where the webhost kicks in, he has to understand the client sites in order to determine how to put both large and small accounts on the same server and STILL ensure prime performance. Thats the key to hosting forums
        www.MJWebhosting.com - (Vbulletin Forum Hosting)
        www.MercuryServer.com - (Our vBulletin forum Managed & hosted by MJWebhosting)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...