Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JakeS
    • Jul 2005

Ahh microsoft activation!

Ahh microsoft activation! Now that I have transfered the windows copy over to the other HDD it works yeah, but I done phone activation asked me how many machines its on and I said 1 as it is, and now it says I'm not legal, brilliant.

And it also thinks its XP LOL.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Give MS a call and they will sort it out.

Comment

• JakeS
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Zachery
      Give MS a call and they will sort it out.
      I did and that's what I got, after I wasted my time pressing my activation numbers in, why do Microsoft need activation? Apple doesn't have it, Linux don't have it, so why Microsoft?

EDIT: Looks like I'm going to need to install XP and replace vista, why should I do what they say "Please buy another copy".

Got 3 days, so not much I can do.

And now I'm getting the pop ups "Windows was deactivated due to a hardware change" and then tells me to activate, but obviously it won't activate, it knows it wont so why ask me to activate? Damn microsoft ate this close: | | to being kicked out of all of my systems forever.
      Last edited by JakeS; Thu 3 May '07, 9:59am.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

I've never had problems reactivating Windows after hardware changes. Never. I have never had to call them on the phone about it either. Just click the Activate Now icon and its done.

Painless and easy if you don't change your equipment around every day.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
          I've never had problems reactivating Windows after hardware changes. Never. I have never had to call them on the phone about it either. Just click the Activate Now icon and its done.

Painless and easy if you don't change your equipment around every day.
          I get it even if I connect a CDROM
          I reboot and get told to activate, which fails, because it's the xth time.
          I call, and they ask 'how many machines' I told them - the license number is legit, and this is an anonymous call and no data is stored or retained as per your msg, so this is not relevant. Then they repeat the question with a sigh, and i sigh and say 'sure, 1, because otherwise we can't continue this conversation'.

It's a horrible system, and I can't be arsed. I rather use a pirated version simply to skip all this bull from microsoft. I paid for it, I don't want to use it more then once. I only change my hardware. I am not making multiple instances - so they should leave me alone.

I am so glad I am on macosx now, none of this nonense. I made an image in parallels once, activated it (again had to phone in ..) and then made a copy of that so i could simply restore image when i need to.

Comment

• Fusion
            • Aug 2001
            • 3.8.x

You do know the guy who came up with this system, is just a poor miserable sod with too few friends just aiming to share the love, right?
            Toddler from Hell

Comment

• ---MAD---
              • Jun 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by JakeS
              I did and that's what I got, after I wasted my time pressing my activation numbers in, why do Microsoft need activation? Apple doesn't have it, Linux don't have it, so why Microsoft?

EDIT: Looks like I'm going to need to install XP and replace vista, why should I do what they say "Please buy another copy".

Got 3 days, so not much I can do.

And now I'm getting the pop ups "Windows was deactivated due to a hardware change" and then tells me to activate, but obviously it won't activate, it knows it wont so why ask me to activate? Damn microsoft ate this close: | | to being kicked out of all of my systems forever.
              Microsoft need it simply because they are the bigger company in the business (infact probably putting all the OS together, it wont make up how much MS has % wise).

Comment

• JakeS
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ---MAD---
                Microsoft need it simply because they are the bigger company in the business (infact probably putting all the OS together, it wont make up how much MS has % wise).
                That said, wouldn't they want to keep their customers happy by not keep bugging them every time they change hardware?

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

That said, wouldn't they want to keep their customers happy by not keep bugging them every time they change hardware?
                  Their idea of keeping customers happy is to include a free calculator and minesweeper

Comment

• JakeS
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Floris
                    Their idea of keeping customers happy is to include a free calculator and minesweeper
                    don't forget they now have Apple's Chess game modified to keep their customers happy lol.

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
                      • Nov 2001
                      • 3.8.x

Yaa umm, you see the problem with that is.
                      Most don/t change hardware, and want to re-activate once a week..
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                        Yaa umm, you see the problem with that is.
                        Most don/t change hardware, and want to re-activate once a week..
                        And the problem is, a lot of us do. Doing hardware reviews is a pain. Trying to fix a broken computer is a pain. Doing software reviews on a fresh install via vmware/parallels is a pain. There are enough situations where people do new installs or change hardware around.

Comment

• Quillz
                          • Nov 2004
                          • 5.0.X

I knew JakeS made this thread before I even read it.
                          Forums

Comment

• JakeS
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Quillz
                            I knew JakeS made this thread before I even read it.
                            Yeah most likely because under thread title it has my name.

Ahh microsoft activation!
                            JakeS

Comment

• JakeS
                              • Jul 2005

Hmm... Well I just was doing my everyday things and now this has come up.

Oh and LOL, I can vailidate:

Validation Complete!
                              Validation Complete!

Thank you for validating your copy of Microsoft Windows.
                              Thank you for using the Windows Genuine Advantage program. You may now access resources for genuine Windows users.

But I can't activate lol.
                              Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...