What is causing - PHP has encountered an Access Violation at 7C8224B2?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pgowder
    • Mar 2001

What is causing - PHP has encountered an Access Violation at 7C8224B2?

Here's my site:
    Native American culture and Pow Wow information. Find upcoming Pow Wows near you. Explore Native culture through videos, articles, resources and more.

Forum:

Server Info:
    Windows 2003
    IIS 6.0

PHP

MySQL

Help! What is causing me to get these errors?

Thanks!
    PowWows.com
  • TommyBALL
    • Feb 2001

It's caused by parts of PHP that where not written with the treaded process model of windows in mind. The PHP core itself works fine in a threaded environment like Windows, but many (most?) extensions where written by Linux/*nix coders that find coding in a thread-safe manner too complicated to handle (or they just don't care ).

I notice that you are running an old and insecure version of PHP. You should upgrade ASAP (http://www.php.net)
    Also, disable all extensions you do not really need.
    Some more info in the following thread:

So how can you really resolve this in a good manner? There is not really any perfect solution to it till MicroSoft and Zend finish their FastCGI implementation. This will let non-thread-safe stuff run on IIS in a more stable manner, while keeping performance up to (or even surpass) ISAPI levels (as opposed to slooow regular CGI).

More on the FastCGI project can be read on MicroSoft's official IIS website:
    Learn, download, & discuss IIS7 and more on the official Microsoft IIS site for the IIS.NET development community.

FastCGI is being made for IIS 5/6/7. It will be included as a natural part of Longhorn (the next windows server version).

I'm running vBulletin quite successfully with absolutely no Access Violations on the setup in my signature below.

Regards
    - Tommy
    MCP / MCSA / MCSE / MCT
    A few eggs short of a complete easter basket

vB 4.0.5+ CMS (No hacks), Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent, IIS 7.5, PHP 5.3+ (FastCGI), WinCache, Memcached, MySQL 5.1.45

Comment

• pgowder
      • Mar 2001

Originally posted by TommyBALL
      It's caused by parts of PHP that where not written with the treaded process model of windows in mind. The PHP core itself works fine in a threaded environment like Windows, but many (most?) extensions where written by Linux/*nix coders that find coding in a thread-safe manner too complicated to handle (or they just don't care ).

I notice that you are running an old and insecure version of PHP. You should upgrade ASAP (http://www.php.net)
      Also, disable all extensions you do not really need.
      Some more info in the following thread:

So how can you really resolve this in a good manner? There is not really any perfect solution to it till MicroSoft and Zend finish their FastCGI implementation. This will let non-thread-safe stuff run on IIS in a more stable manner, while keeping performance up to (or even surpass) ISAPI levels (as opposed to slooow regular CGI).

More on the FastCGI project can be read on MicroSoft's official IIS website:
      Learn, download, & discuss IIS7 and more on the official Microsoft IIS site for the IIS.NET development community.

FastCGI is being made for IIS 5/6/7. It will be included as a natural part of Longhorn (the next windows server version).

I'm running vBulletin quite successfully with absolutely no Access Violations on the setup in my signature below.

Regards
      - Tommy
      So moving to PHP 5.2.x will solve it or I still need to implement FastCGI also? Is that stable for use?
      PowWows.com

Comment

• TommyBALL
        • Feb 2001

Originally posted by pgowder
        So moving to PHP 5.2.x will solve it or I still need to implement FastCGI also? Is that stable for use?
        It depends on what PHP applications you are running, what PHP extensions they require, and how thread-safe those extensions are.
        FastCGI is not even in Beta yet.

Regards
        - Tommy
        MCP / MCSA / MCSE / MCT

vB 4.0.5+ CMS (No hacks), Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent, IIS 7.5, PHP 5.3+ (FastCGI), WinCache, Memcached, MySQL 5.1.45

Comment

• pgowder
          • Mar 2001

Originally posted by TommyBALL
          It depends on what PHP applications you are running, what PHP extensions they require, and how thread-safe those extensions are.
          FastCGI is not even in Beta yet.

Regards
          - Tommy
          Thanks, I'll give 5.2 a try. Cross my fingers and hope it improves it!
          PowWows.com

Comment

• May 2003

Actually FastCGI is in Beta now and has been for a while.

Go to the link below for the official donwload. It comes with a readme file that should help you get everything set up properly.

Comment

• TommyBALL
              • Feb 2001

Nope. It's still in Technical Preview 2.
              Ever since the original release of FastCGI Tech Preview 1, and the Microsoft/Zend collaboration announcement to bring production-quality PHP to IIS, the FastCGI project has been steadily gaining momentum in the community.   With the release of Longhorn Server Beta 3, a number of hosters are beginning to offer FastCGI-powered PHP support on top of their IIS7 offerings, which is really

While we are still working on the Beta release for the IIS5/IIS6 version of FastCGI, we didn’t want to leave you hanging – so, if you are having any trouble with TP2, you can download the latest developer release of out-of-band FastCGI that fixes a few problems reported by the community since TP2’s release.
              MCP / MCSA / MCSE / MCT

Comment

• todd222222
                • Mar 2003

Tommy,
                Several months ago I switch to apache on windows 2003 because of these problems. I was running php 5.2.1 and only have these extenstion installed: php_gd2.dll and php_mysql.dll

I would love to go back to IIS. I'm not running xcache or memcached, do you think running php 5.2.2 and these two apps would stop the errors?

thanks

Comment

• TommyBALL
                  • Feb 2001

For whatever it's worth: I have not had a single access violation with 5.2.2. A few others have reported that they've not had any access violation either, with such a setup, since 5.2.2.

My setup is in my signature below. The server is a VMWare virtual machine. I only run vBulletin on it. Five instances of vBulletin. 3 are my own. 2 hosted for others. All 5 forums run in the same Application Pool with 3 worker processes in a Web Garden setup.

My PHP extensions are:
                  extension=php_xcache.dll
                  extension=php_gd2.dll
                  extension=php_mbstring.dll
                  extension=php_mysqli.dll
                  extension=php_memcache.dll

I use IIS for http-compression (instead of PHP/vBulletin)... with a few tweaks in the metabase.

Regards
                  - Tommy
                  Last edited by TommyBALL; Mon 18 Jun '07, 10:23am.
                  MCP / MCSA / MCSE / MCT

Comment

• Computer Guru
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 3.6.x

For what it's worth - for anyone having this bug, we managed to solve it on our servers by switching to Microsoft's own proprietary (and free) FastCGI implementation: http://www.iis.net/default.aspx?tabid=1000053
                    NeoSmart Technologies
                    http://neosmart.net/forums/

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                      • Aug 2000

That is still in beta correct? With a final version due with IIS7.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• TommyBALL
                        • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        That is still in beta correct? With a final version due with IIS7.
                        It hasn't even reached beta stage yet.
                        MCP / MCSA / MCSE / MCT

Comment

• pgowder
                          • Mar 2001

FastCGI was terrible for me! It opens a new process for each PHP session. I have a very busy server and that killed all available memory.
                          PowWows.com

Comment

• todd222222
                            • Mar 2003

Ok another question?

What is this? http://phplens.com/phpeverywhere/fastcgi-php

It's also called FastCGI but is it different than the one at www.iis.net?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

FastCGI is simply an architecture just like CGI is an architecture. This is simply a third-party (meaning not Microsoft or PHP) implementation of it.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...