X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erinch
    • Jun 2005

Welcome/Activation email woes

Hi:
    I am wondering if this group could help me pinpoint where an email holdup might be located in my set-up.

I've read the troubleshooting email FAQ which gets posted in these questions, and I'm still not sure.

My webhost requires that email be sent through smtp, with the smtp setting scriptmail.theirdomain.net -- where "theirdomain" is the name of the host.

On my vbulletin email settings I have specified that mail should be sent through smtp, used the above setting as the smtp host, set the port to 25, and did not enter a username or password.

I used the email diagnostics function, and a test email comes correctly to contact email address.

When a new user registers, I have it set that they must be moderated before they can see the board or post. I receive an email telling me that there is a new user on the board, but they do not receive the initial welcome email. When I moderate them, they do not receive an email telling them that they are now registered users.

If I use the "contact us" button on the webboard, I once again get that email.

As I said, I read the troubleshooting email FAQ, but am still confused about what my next step should be.

thanks,
    Erin Cox-Holmes
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Please see this page for help troubleshooting email problems:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• erinch
      • Jun 2005

HI Steve:

Thanks for your patient response.
      As I said in my post above, I did read that troubleshooting email FAQ thoroughly. But I'm confused.

What would be the reason that the email diagnostics are working, but users are not receiving welcome or activation emails, or notifications from the forum that a post has been made in a subscribed thread?

Please read my original post for an exact description of what is ocurring.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Yes I read that. The fact that some email is working and some isn't is a clear indication that vB is sending these emails and that the problem is either on the server or receiving end.

Did you follow the instructions in that page? If so, what did the server and vB email logs show?

If not, then you should reread that page again.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• erinch
          • Jun 2005

I'm truly sorry to be such a moron: I rarely feel like an idiot, but trying to get the mail to work on a new board does it every time.

1) I've contacted the server for the log; they haven't responded yet (I'm hosted on a shared server).

2) To rephrase my question, I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else about smtp setup or settings which I might not be aware of, before I start fighting with them to fix it. For instance, if you're using smtp, would one still switch on the -f parameter?

3) to enable vb email logs, the instructions say:
          If you would like to log all emails to a file, enter the path to the file here. The file will be saved as {filename}.log. You should only enable email logging if you suspect problems with the email system within vBulletin.

Please note that the directory in which this file is to be created must be writable by the web server.

Again, I'm in moron mode. Did I do this correctly? I used cuteFTP to create a new folder on the server in htdocs, which is where all of my other vbulletin folders/data are installed. I titled this folder emaillog. After successfully clicking "contact us" on the forum, and sending an email which was received, and posting a reply to a thread, and not receiving an email, this folder does not show any contents. Am I doing this correctly?

thanks again,
          Erin C-H

Comment

• erinch
            • Jun 2005

the vb email logs

can anyone answer my question on whether I've set up the vb email log correctly?

thanks,
            Erin Cox-Holmes

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

If the folder is not showing any contents, then it's a safe bet that you did not do it correctly.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• erinch
                • Jun 2005

Trying to set up a VB Email log

These are the steps I followed:
                1. I used cuteFTP to create a new folder on the server in htdocs, which is where all of my other vbulletin folders/data are installed.
                2. I titled this folder emaillog.
                3.After successfully clicking "contact us" on the forum, and sending an email which was received, and posting a reply to a thread, and not receiving an email, this folder does not show any contents.

What am I not doing correctly?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

You need to use the correct path to that directory and it needs to be chmod'd to 777. If you do this then it will work.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• erinch
                    • Jun 2005

1) I set the path as emaillog in the setting "log emails to file" in the error handling screen under vbulletin options.
                    2) the folder I created as emaillog is in the same directory (htdocs) as all the other vbulletin files. The folder before it is customprofilepics and the folder after it is images.

3) I cannot find any instructions on how to set the chmod to 777. Do I do this in vBulletin or on the server?

thank you.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

You do this on the server. Here's a couple of sites that explain chmod:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• erinch
                        • Jun 2005

chmod: on the server I set the permission on the emaillog folder to execute. I then checked in cuteFTP under properties/chmod, and it says chmod is 777, and read, write, execute are all checked.

I sent another test email of the only email which is working from the site, the "contact us", but when I open the emaillog folder in cuteFTP, there are no contents.

Is this the proper way to check that log? Or where am I supposed to check it?

Is there some other step I've missed?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

That should have worked, again if everything was done correctly. What is the name of the log you created and what is the contents of that directory? Are you absoultely sure you used the correct path? What did you use?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...