Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony L
    • Jul 2003

MySQL: Too Many Connections

I am currently receiving hundreds of MySQL ‘mysql_connect(): Too many connections’ errors each day.

I have emailed my hosting provider requesting that the MySQL max_connections setting be increased from it’s current setting of 70 and they have come back to me blaming the errors on the size of my board and the fact that I have over 73k posts in one forum room as this has a negative impact on indexing. Their suggestion is that I split the largest room into two or more, which something I do not really want to do.

The research I have done suggests not only that my forum is not overly big nor that these too things are in any way linked. Could I please request that anyone from vBulletin reading this clarifies this issue. I just want the errors to stop and to be able to provide a better service to my userbase.

My board typically has 120-160 people logged on at any given time.

Thank you very much for your time.

Tony.

• Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Honestly it sounds like your forums may be too busy for the host and hosting plan.

The server has maxed out the number of MySQL connections it allows. This is a server-wide limit, not just your forums. You can try turning persistent connections off in your config.php:

$config['MasterServer']['usepconnect'] = 0;

But if you still have problems after that, all you can do is ask your host to raise the maximum number of connections they allow or start considering a dedicated or semi-dedicated server.

Here is more info on that error:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...