• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efil
    • Mar 2006
    • 3.6.x

deleted thread

HI,
    By mistake i have deleted a very important thread.

How can i get it back from backup database ?

Please help.

EFil
    Efil.
  • Marco van Herwaarden
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.8.x

If you have soft deleted it, then you can restore it by clicking on the Manage link.

If it was permanently deleted, then there is no way to get it back, unless you restore a full backup made prior to deleting the thread.
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• efil
      • Mar 2006
      • 3.6.x

I have it in backup and i downloaded the sql post and thread.
      Can i move it to my current database?
      Efil.

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.8.x

It is not advised to restore a partial backup since there are cross-references in other tables.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• snoopy5
          • Sep 2004
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Marco van Herwaarden
          If you have soft deleted it, then you can restore it by clicking on the Manage link.
          vb 3.68pl2

which "manage link"?

I have a user, who overwrote all his old postings to delete them. Is there a way to get the original back?

Comment

• richpal
            • Aug 2006
            • 3.6.x

Most hosting companies make daily (24hr) back-ups, so if the changes were made after the last back-up, email or call your hosting company NOW and ask them to restore their last backup. If the changes were made a few days ago ask them if they have any previous dated back-ups to restore from.

Ought to mention that some hosting companies allow you to download full back-ups whenever you wish - just in case this, or another disaster occurs!

And change your forum permissions for users so they can't make changes to their posts after x hours!

Comment

• snoopy5
              • Sep 2004
              • 3.6.x

HI

I have made yesterday my own backup. Happy accident

But the suer seems to have overwritten it already a few day ago. I have alos backups from before, but then I loose the new comments...

But what did Marco mean with

????

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

Marco is talking about how you have two different ways to delete a post - a soft delete or physically remove. If the posts are physically removed, they are gone from the database. If they are just soft deleted, then they are still there, but not visible to users (by default, you can change this though). These soft deleted posts are usually visible to admins and mods and are identified as either a 'short' post with Manage Post next to it or as a regular looking post with a trashcan in the bottom corner of the post.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• snoopy5
                  • Sep 2004
                  • 3.6.x

so this does not apply at all if the user overwrote the old comment?

he did not delete anything, he edited and overwrote it with a fullstop.

No trashcan or whatsover is visible by the way

Comment

• Lynne
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Oct 2004

Hmmm, I thought you said at the beginning that it was deleted. That is what the thread title says this thread is about.

Unless you are using 3.7 with thread history on, then the post is gone.

If you absolutely need the post, there is always the good ole copy/paste option. Put a backup on a test site, find the posts you want back and edit them yourself on the main site. I can't think of another way to get them back.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• snoopy5
                      • Sep 2004
                      • 3.6.x

o.k. thanks for the fast answer. I will then try it manually...

Comment

• snoopy5
                        • Sep 2004
                        • 3.6.x

I have one last question:

a) Is there any way in 3.68 to check regularely (manually) whether Users deleted or modified in masses old postings?

b) How can I find out i.e. what user x did over the last 2 or 7 days on the forum? (i.e. deleted, posted etc.)

Thanks in advance

Comment

• Lynne
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Oct 2004

a) I don't know of anyway to output a list other than to see deleted posts under your User CP. That spits out all deleted posts and I think it is order by date of post, not the date they deleted it.

b) I also don't think you can. There are logs in the Admin CP, but those are for moderators so you can see what they have done, but I don't know that you can see user actions. You can, of course, see user posts by going to their profile and showing all posts.

Comment