Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patsalko
    • Dec 2005

RSS problem: XML Error: Invalid character at line 1

I get this error when I try to add the following rss feed to the RSS feed manager http://thesurfacenews.blogspot.com/rss.xml

XML Error: Invalid character at line 1
    RSS Feed Manager

I am using Vb 3.61

Any ideas???
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

This feed works fine on my unhacked vB 3.6.1 test forum.

First, reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file.

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?
    Steve Machol, Founder of the OptiBoard Discussion Forums for Eyecare Professionals

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• drewstr
      • Jul 2006

Same Problem

I am having the same problem.

Most of the feeds are working fine. But these three are not:

http://stock-photo.blogspot.com/rss.xml (XML Error: Invalid character at Line 17)

http://photoshopnews.com/feed/ (XML Error: Invalid character at Line 31)

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/rss.xml (XML Error: Invalid character at Line 1)

They all worked fine under 3.6.0. It was only after upgrading that I get these errors.

I have done everything you suggest in the above response in regard to reuploading all files in ascii, disabling any plugins (both in the admincp and by adding a line in the config file), reverting any customized templates, using different styles, different browsers, etc.

These errors are ocurring when I click on preview the feed in the admincp, not when trying to view the output.

From the error message it appears that it doesn't like some specific characters encountered during the parsing of the feed before it event tries to output anything. It makes no difference what I have in the title template or the body template. In fact, they can be entirely empty and the error message is still delivered.

I pulled up the source code for the feeds to try and see what character it might be fouling out on. Couldn't tell from there. Could have something to do with html or atom lines?

Any other ideas. If not, is there a way to revert back to 3.6.0 just for the relevant rssposter files. I tried to just copy back the 3.6.0 rssposter file but it made no difference, so the error is not in there.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Please start your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's. Thank you.
        Steve Machol, Founder of the OptiBoard Discussion Forums for Eyecare Professionals

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• drewstr
          • Jul 2006

No Hijacking intended

Hi Steve,

No hijacking intended, whatever that means.

I will be happy to start a new thread, just thought it would help with troubleshooting new release issues by posting in the same thread where someone else has already reported the same issue.

Thanks,
          Drew

Comment

• patsalko
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            This feed works fine on my unhacked vB 3.6.1 test forum.

First, reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file.

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?
            I tried disabling the plugin hooks and it did not work.
            I copied includes/class_rss_poster.php from vb 3.60 and the feeds work.
            So there's definitely somethinh wrong with the feeds in 3.6.1

Thanks!

Comment

• smsmasters
              • May 2003

I agree, I copied includes/class_rss_poster.php from vb 3.60 and I no longer get any errors. I'm running 3.6.2. This is definitely a bug.

Comment

• NIS-Francisco
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by smsmasters
                I agree, I copied includes/class_rss_poster.php from vb 3.60 and I no longer get any errors. I'm running 3.6.2. This is definitely a bug.
                I am facing the same problems, bug? v3.6

Comment

• magnus
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by NIS-Francisco
                  I am facing the same problems, bug? v3.6
                  Same. I get the error until I downgrade to the 3.6.0 file. Now everything is fine.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...