X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidWebb
    • Sep 2005
    • 3.8.x

Ban by date of birth [not vb version case-sensitive]

Considering that I use 3.6, this is the most appropriate, per-se, forum to post in, HOWEVER, this is not limited to 3.6 - this applies to ALL version of vbulletin. It happened when I was on 3.5.x and it still continues now.

I have an issue with new registrations. The user, regardless of IP address (banned about 20-30 Class "C"s), email address (banned about 35 @isp.coms), or any other BANNING methods, new registrations continue to pour in on the average of about one or two a day with the same date of birth. I have banned these people and deleted the accounts from around the world, yet new ones continue to come in failing email registration ALL with March 28th, 1983.

Any suggestions on preventing registrations by date of birth? I've already attempted the search function and that was limited by less than 10 results in various attempts.
    Visit us at Christianboards.org
    Please do not contact me at my site for vBulletin issues. I am not the only one reading the Contact Us mail.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

There is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• DavidWebb
      • Sep 2005
      • 3.8.x

Steve, with all due respect, I have come to understand that staff at vb.com use
      Originally posted by Steve Machol
      however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
      quiet often, especially if someone has something similar they have a problem with [in the future] and they can just read the default statement and go to the appointed link in the default response and go there. It is failure on my part, however, that I did not provide details that I have already searched on vb.org, normally it is the first place I check, and for my failure to disclose this, I apologize.

So, in essense, there is nothing short of a file edit to fix my issue.
      Visit us at Christianboards.org
      Please do not contact me at my site for vBulletin issues. I am not the only one reading the Contact Us mail.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

We do not provide support for custom coding on these forums and this requires custom coding. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Boss-Hog
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by christianb
          Considering that I use 3.6, this is the most appropriate, per-se, forum to post in, HOWEVER, this is not limited to 3.6 - this applies to ALL version of vbulletin. It happened when I was on 3.5.x and it still continues now.

I have an issue with new registrations. The user, regardless of IP address (banned about 20-30 Class "C"s), email address (banned about 35 @isp.coms), or any other BANNING methods, new registrations continue to pour in on the average of about one or two a day with the same date of birth. I have banned these people and deleted the accounts from around the world, yet new ones continue to come in failing email registration ALL with March 28th, 1983.

Any suggestions on preventing registrations by date of birth? I've already attempted the search function and that was limited by less than 10 results in various attempts.
          Hello,

I'm having exactly the same problem with spam bots continuously registering (approximately 1-2 a day) with the same "birthday" (March 28th, 1983). It generally takes a while for the bots to move from "Users Waiting For Confirmation" to "Registered" status, so I delete them as fast as I possibly can, but if I don't get to them in time, the bots post all sorts of spam and sex messages. Can anyone please tell me how to avoid this, short of completely moderating all registrations? Thanks.

Comment

• Boss-Hog
            • Jul 2002

Anyone?

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Again there is no function in vB to ban by birthdate. Please ask for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• feldon23
                • Nov 2001
                • 3.7.x

It would behoove Jelsoft to take seriously this March 28th, 1983 spambot problem.

Someone has written a free add-on to ban that birthday.
                Last edited by feldon23; Tue 5 Dec '06, 6:41am.

Comment

• flynnibus
                  • Aug 2005

Banning that date would simply lead to them changing the date used.

Address the real problem.. too weak registration methods. Block the common email domains, use the current image validation methods (v3.6 with truetype fonts), and if those aren't options.. add custom registration requirements (like the NoSpam! mod from vb.org)

Comment

• Boss-Hog
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by flynnibus
                    Banning that date would simply lead to them changing the date used.

Address the real problem.. too weak registration methods. Block the common email domains, use the current image validation methods (v3.6 with truetype fonts), and if those aren't options.. add custom registration requirements (like the NoSpam! mod from vb.org)
                    Perhaps that's true, but I've implemented code to prevent anyone with that birthday from posting on the forum and it hasn't led to any additional spam registrations with any birthday other than 03-28-1983, so for me, it doesn't appear to be that intuitive.

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
                      • Nov 2004
                      • 3.8.x

Your best protection is custom protection. Once we incorporate protections (like banning a single birthdate) into the default product, they will simply change to use another birthdate.
                      Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                      Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Gooses
                        • May 2006
                        • 3.6.x

vBulletin comes with an incredibly powerful image verification system. Crank it all the way up and even your human users will have a hard time reading it and registering.
                        It's gooses, not geese.
                        At least that's how it should be...

Comment

• feldon23
                          • Nov 2001
                          • 3.7.x

You think the people in this thread have the image verification off?

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
                            • Nov 2004
                            • 3.8.x

Either off, or set it to use a too simple font/background. We haver until now not found any fully automated registrations (without the help of humans) that can break the 3.6 CAPTCHA unless using the most simple options.
                            Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                            Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• flynnibus
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by feldon23
                              You think the people in this thread have the image verification off?
                              ironically if you read alot of the spam threads.. yes. many people do not have it on

Or they are not using v3.6.x which doesn't have the truetype support.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...