Duplicate accounts... how are they doing this?!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PC101
    • Sep 2006
    • 3.5.x

Duplicate accounts... how are they doing this?!

Hey y'all,

I've got a real problem and I can't figure out how these buggers are doing it! Last week I had a guy sign up and create TWO accounts with the same name, address, same IP, and everything. Thinking it was a fluke, I deleted member account #327 and told him not to create duplicate accounts. After learning he's been doing this all over the place, I went ahead and banned him!

PC101 Computer Forum View Profile #327 : BebopVT <-- I just deleted this one.
    PC101 Computer Forum View Profile #328 : BebopVT

Now, it's happening again...

PC101 Computer Forum View Profile #333: Shemker394 -- shemker394[at]freestuffo1(dot).com
    PC101 Computer Forum View Profile #334: Shemker394 -- shemker394[at]freestuffo1(dot).com

And I have one more guy who email is coming from the same .com as these first two except for the last digit...

PC101 Computer Forum View Profile #335 : LClan439 -- lclan439[at]freestuffo2(dot).com

Note too... all three are coming from the same IP address too!

I've placed these last three under miserable user rather than delete them so maybe y'all can see what I mean and tell me what's going on.

Someone said it could be people signing in using "ASCII codes." This is unfamilar to me so I've come here for help in identifying and fixing the problem. Please advise!

Any feedback will be appreciated!

Lyte
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

ASCII codes are html codes that represent a letter or number or symbol.
    For example if you hold down the ALT key and press 0 then 1 then 5 then 3 ono the number pad, you will get the little tm symbol.

Anyway, if you edit the user, you should be able to see if they are using this or not.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• PC101
      • Sep 2006
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
      Anyway, if you edit the user, you should be able to see if they are using this or not.
      Thanks for the quick response!

I went into "Edit User" / "New registrations" and didn't see anything that made me go "Huh?!" What might a reg via ASCII codes look like??

Also and more importantly, how to I prevent people from using ASCII/HTML in the the registration fields (nick, email addy, etc.)

Thanks again!

Lyte

Comment

• Andy
        • Jan 2002
        • 4.1.x

In Admin CP look up the user and see if there is a space before or after one of the names.

Comment

• PC101
          • Sep 2006
          • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Andy
          In Admin CP look up the user and see if there is a space before or after one of the names.
          Hey Andy

I tried that and found nothing. I tried placing the curser in the name field and hit HOME and END and no space appeared between the first/last letter and the curser. Am I not looking for it the right way?!

Here's a bit map of each...

http://www.pc101.com/images/shemker394-333.bmp = Member #333

http://www.pc101.com/images/shemker394-334.bmp = Member #334

To my eyes they look identical, even the emails. So... what am I not seeing... how is my VB software allowing this.... how do I put a stop to it!?

Thanks!

Lyte

Comment

• PC101
            • Sep 2006
            • 3.5.x

No one else? No one from Customer Service can tell me how to prevent this?

Lyte

Comment

• Marcel Lee
              • Mar 2002
              • 3.6.x

The exact same thing is happening on my site. "LClan439" registered, "BebopVT" registered and posted a (seemingly-normal) thread, and "Shemker394" registered twice with the exact same username; which I thought was impossible to do on a vbulletin board.

A Google search shows that these three, among others, have been registering on boards all over the internet; all around the same (recent) time; so I'm guessing they're spam bots of some kind. The promo ad links in their signatures only add to that suspicious.

As long as they aren't doing any harm, they dont bother me; but I would love to know just how they're able to register with the same exact name more than once. I'm no vb expert, but I'd think that poses a major security risk. I mean; what's to stop them from, for example, registering as the admin?

They also have the ability to by-pass required profile fields during registration.

When I asked Steve Machol about this, he gave me the same "ASCII codes" theory; which, if true, isn't a security risk; but I dont know about that. Like PC101, I examined the characters in their names thoroughly and everything looked normal to me.

By the way, as a side note, you may also want to check-out the related threads below:

1) 2 users, SAME name! Huh?

2) Weird New Member?

Last edited by Marcel Lee; Tue 5 Sep '06, 6:37pm.

Comment

• PC101
                • Sep 2006
                • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Marcel Lee
                As long as they aren't doing any harm, they dont bother me;
                Hey Marcel Lee,

I can appreicate your patience. Unfortunately, for me harm includes being annoyed! I'm annoyed by the fact that they are able to do this! I'm annoyed by the possibility that this could be just the start of something really ugly! Yeah, they only got three names onto my board when I caught it but what's keeping them from doing it 50 times???

but I would love to know just how they're able to register with the same exact name more than once. I'm no vb expert, but I'd think that poses a major security risk. I mean; what's to stop them from, for example, registering as the admin?
                Agreed! And the only ones who can answer this question are the designers of VB. I'm distrubed by the lack of response on the part of the "Management." There are three threads now regarding the same issue and the only one response which was... "They might have used some weird characters that look the same." Might... so, no one really knows how this is happening!?

When I asked Steve Machol about this, he gave me the same "ASCII codes" theory; which, if true, isn't a security risk; but I dont know about that.
                Re-read my previous response! The answer to the problem appears to be little more than a best guess. Am I the only one uncomfortible with this lack of certainty???

And, if the problem is in fact the use of ASCII codes ... you mean no one thought to prevent the use of these codes when registering?? If not, why not?

Lyte

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Originally posted by PC101
                  No one else? No one from Customer Service can tell me how to prevent this?

Lyte
                  I had already responded to your support ticket on this. If you need more help them reply to that ticket. Please don't use the forums and tickets for the same issue.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• PC101
                    • Sep 2006
                    • 3.5.x

Uhh... I never opened a support ticket. I have no idea where to find this support ticket. I've only ever posted about this problem in VB here on the forum. Please direct me to the answer.

Thank you.

Lyte

EDIT: The last support ticket I opened was dated Dec 29th '05 06:46pm Please advise where I can find the support ticket regarding the issue stated in thread. I can't find it and I need help. Thanks!
                    Last edited by PC101; Tue 5 Sep '06, 8:10pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

I must have confused this with another ticket I responded to. If you have not installed any hacks or plugins, please feel to start a support ticket. See my sig.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• PC101
                        • Sep 2006
                        • 3.5.x

Hey Steve,

I would prefer not to begin a Support Ticket as it appears others are having the very same problem. Working this issue out where others can benefit seems appropriate.

With regard to my PM relating to Jake's response on this thread...

I was expressing to you the fact this was not really an answer. This was a response to a post as to what he thought the answer "might" be. This is no slight against Jake, nor an attempt on my part to be "rude or hostile." I'm simply stating that telling us what it might be really doesn't help. Although I do appreciate the effort! And if Jake is correct, he doesn't go on to tell the user how to prevent this problem from happening. Again, no slight against Jake because no other VB staff told member ab420 how to keep it from happening again either.

I and other VB users are asking simply, "How is this happening?" and "How do I make it stop?" I realize the questions are simple but the answer may not be! If no one knows the answer... just say so! I would not get offended if someone was to say, "I don't know ... but let me find out." Kewl! Then hit me with the answer when you have it! But to leave threads unanswered or to rely on non-answers as a legitimate response... that's just frustrating.

So... do we know (precisely) how these bozos are registering multiple nicks? And, more importantly, how can we as Admins prevent it from happening again... and again... and again.

Thanks!

Lyte
                        Last edited by PC101; Wed 6 Sep '06, 3:27am. Reason: Grammer. : )

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                          • Sep 2001

what hacks/mods/plugins are you using on your site? I think it has to be one of them.
                          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by PC101
                            Hey Steve,

I would prefer not to begin a Support Ticket as it appears others are having the very same problem. Working this issue out where others can benefit seems appropriate.
                            The point of the support ticket is to investigate and fix this, which we cannot do without the access needed.

Also if you are running hacks or plugins, you will need to remove these first and verify you still have this problem with the original vB code. We cannot provide support for rums running code we did not write.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• PC101
                              • Sep 2006
                              • 3.5.x

Steve,

I understand the points are you are making which is why I'm in the forums and not in the "Support" section. I'm assuming, but I think it a safe assumption that the 3, 4 or 5 (?) other members who are having the same problem are also running hacks. So, it would make more sense to discuss this issue with those who are in the same situation as I am.

It might also make sense to allow the members to discuss the issue together and compare notes (e.g. common hacks) before asking one or all of them to undue hours worth of work. Truth be told... I'm not prepared at this point to strip my forum of all it's hacks. I really don't think that's necessary to get to the bottom of this issue. But... I could be wrong!

Lyte
                              Last edited by PC101; Wed 6 Sep '06, 11:49am. Reason: Grammer : )

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...