X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr.H
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.5.x

Weird New Member?

Yesterday we got a new member named "Bebopvt"..
    This person has a bunch of myspace adds in their sig(guess they never read the forum policy) and started a thread about "Eh, PM box full?" stating that they were a new member and they couldn't pm because it said their pm box was full..
    My night admin checked into it and found no pm problems with the system so pm'ed the member about it then deleted the post.
    This morn I saw the same post with the same exact words posted again, I deleted it and emailed the member a warning. A few hours later same post by the same member again, so I put them in a moderated grouping and emailed them again. This time I looked into their noobrock.com email address and couldn't find anthing about it then I googled their user name "Bebopvt" and found the name was a member of tons of forum with the same bunch of myspace add in their sig.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this guy and what you think he might be up to?

Should I delete and ban him right away.

Also I was looking at his post on my laptop before I deleted it and like 30 popups of the same window came out of no where before I could stop msn's progress. I'm not sure if there was something in the post or if my wife picked up something so I'm scanning the laptop now.
    Last edited by Dr.H; Sun 3 Sep '06, 11:58am.
  • Mac Write
    • Oct 2001
    • 4.2.x

Delete and ban e-mail domain, username, IP, block URL (using bad word block). Pure spammer.

Comment

• Dr.H
      • Aug 2005
      • 3.5.x

Thanks Mac Write
      I figured something was fishy about this guy..
      I did everything you recomended nut I'm not sure what you mean by the url bad word block? can you please explain this a bit more.

Thanks

Comment

• Cromulent
        • Oct 2005
        • 3.8.x

I think he means use the censor to block the URL that he was trying to spam.

Comment

• Mac Write
          • Oct 2001
          • 4.2.x

Originally posted by Cromulent
          I think he means use the censor to block the URL that he was trying to spam.
          Thanks I was pulling a blank at the name of it. I would love to see a "banned URL" list. Then it can be blocked at any level.

Comment

• Dr.H
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.5.x

Thanks guys I understand what you mean now.
            After looking into my list of non active members and members awaiting email confirmation I found a few more spammers hiding in there, luckily this one was the only one to make any posts as of yet.
            I followed some hints I found searching here as to slow them down and I hope all is well from this point on.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Alpha-Sun
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Dr.H
              Yesterday we got a new member named "Bebopvt"..
              This person has a bunch of myspace adds in their sig(guess they never read the forum policy) and started a thread about "Eh, PM box full?" stating that they were a new member and they couldn't pm because it said their pm box was full..
              My night admin checked into it and found no pm problems with the system so pm'ed the member about it then deleted the post.
              This morn I saw the same post with the same exact words posted again, I deleted it and emailed the member a warning. A few hours later same post by the same member again, so I put them in a moderated grouping and emailed them again. This time I looked into their noobrock.com email address and couldn't find anthing about it then I googled their user name "Bebopvt" and found the name was a member of tons of forum with the same bunch of myspace add in their sig.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this guy and what you think he might be up to?

Should I delete and ban him right away.

Also I was looking at his post on my laptop before I deleted it and like 30 popups of the same window came out of no where before I could stop msn's progress. I'm not sure if there was something in the post or if my wife picked up something so I'm scanning the laptop now.
              christ, this guy is registered on the forum i moderate. he posted that thread in announcements so moved it to feedback.

this afternoon i noticed two bots registered using the names applesours & onlinehoster with the same email, tradedoubling.co.uk i noticed they registered on another Vbulletin forum aswell.

Comment

• Dr.H
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.5.x

I now search the new users names on google and if their members of 100's of forums I'm pretty sure their fake.. lol I know I couldn't handle being a member of more than a few forums at a time and still hold down a job.

I think this guy in particular is trying to be tricky with me and re registered today with a new name and email(.info email.. whats with that) but the same birthday, western Europe timezone and a very similar RoadRunner VA IP.. I would have thought a RoadRunner IP (ARIN's WHOIS)would be safe..

Comment

• Dr.H
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 3.5.x

this afternoon i noticed two bots registered using the names applesours & onlinehoster with the same email, tradedoubling.co.uk i noticed they registered on another Vbulletin forum aswell.
                  Lol they just joined my forum as well.. They both had the same IP too. It seems all my recent spammers/bots have Jan 1 1980 birthdays too.

I wonder if these spammers get ticked off when you delete and block them, because while I use to rarely get them and had a few that were in my member list..it seems since I cleaned them out of my forum I'm getting more and more. I had 5 today that were stopped at the mail conformation and I deleted them.
                  Last edited by Dr.H; Mon 4 Sep '06, 2:36pm.

Comment

• Alpha-Sun
                    • Aug 2006

oh yeah, and those two bots even registered at the same time.

they or the "people" running them probably get mad, most of the time these bots seem to have sigs touting their stuff like nike trainers, Myspace stuff and a few others.

oh and watch out for AZNProd32
                    using the email aznprodATcamefromblueinfo
                    with the IP of 66.219.146142/all.bowserhouse.com
                    birthdate of January 1st 1980

this one has just newly registered on the forum i moderate. it's not confirmed itself yet.

Comment

• Dr.H
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.5.x

with the IP of 66.219.146142/all.bowserhouse.com
                      birthdate of January 1st 1980

this one has just newly registered on the forum i moderate. it's not confirmed itself yet.
                      Hah I had him too. It would be cool if there was a thread here listing all the spammers but it would probably be 100's of pages long..

Comment

• PC101
                        • Sep 2006
                        • 3.5.x

Hey guys,

I have the same moron on my board...

He came on right after BeBopVT.

Has anyone figured out how they are doing it? Yeah... I keep hearing about the ASCI code thang but I've not heard anyone say it's for sure OR... more importantly... how the heck to stop them from doing it again!

Is it me, or does this seem like a new probem??

Lyte

Comment

• Marcel Lee
                          • Mar 2002
                          • 3.6.x

Dr.H :

BebopVT posted the same thread on my site; so I decided to a Google search for "Eh, PM box full?" and thousands of board threads showed-up; all posted by BebopVT on the same day.

Comment

• Alpha-Sun
                            • Aug 2006

thats alot of threads on forums in the space of a few seconds/minutes.

the other day two more registered with the names of LClan439 and Shemker394. (their names mentioned on another thread) with the emails of freestuff01 & freestuff02

their IP was 74.52.58.210/host: d2.3a.344a.static.theplanet.com

i have actually seen this IP before of the guest lurker, a few weeks back.

also watch out for this IP if whoever has/might of already registered on your message board.

IP: 70.229.91.166/ Host: ppp-70-229-91-166.dsl.chgil.ameritech.net

they didn't register in the end but three guest of the same IP appeared to be registering, but keep an eye out anyway.

Comment

• Dean C
                              • Mar 2002
                              • 3.5.x

Funnily enough I had my first yesterday, guy has hundreds of profile pages in google. I have email confirmation turned on as well CAPTCHA so he wasn't getting past it.
                              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...