X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coffeefix
    • May 2005

Vbulletin ought to get rid of the leased license

Hi,

I am a former leased license holder, as you know the leased license costs $85, and is good for 1 year and after the year you have to renew or upgrade the license or remove the software from your site. Why even bother having the leased license then? Why not be more in line with your competitors? For example the cost of an IPB licensed (yearly) is $69 and after the year you can still run the version you have but no longer have access to updates- More than reasonable if you ask me. WBB (woltlab burning board software)- the cost of a starter license is $32 and allows you to use it forever. Other plans shown here: http://woltlab.de/products/burning_board/buy_en.php regardeless of the plan you have you can at least use the version you have for a lifetime.

I purchased my VB leased license in May of 2005 and obviously it expired and I had to remove the software, which I did. So basically I'm out $85 and what do I have to show for it?...... Nothing. I have no issues with the cost of the software itself but rather the amount of time a leased license holder is allowed to use the software. Why not allow the purcahser to at least run the version that they have at the time of license expiration? In my case I think it was 3.5.2 or 3.5.3? Again out $85 and nothing to show for it.

Just my thoughts.
  • gulldarek
    • Nov 2001
    • 1.1.x

As for competing with IPB and WBB - as you can see vB developers live with their prices. I wouldn't switch to IPB even if it was free just because: it's code is a mess and 90% of features came after vB devs added them to their product.

And about the price: well, you knew what's going to happen after a year. If you would buy owned license you wouldn't have to remove your vB copy. I live in Poland, and it's harder here to buy a licence and I've managed to do it. And one leased license is a 1/4 of the average salary/month in Poland.

Comment

• coffeefix
      • May 2005

And one leased license is a 1/4 of the average salary/month in Poland.

Well that statement there at least to me further proves my point. For some $85 is alot of money, and as such should be able to use whatever version they get when they purchase the license- for a lifetime.

well, you knew what's going to happen after a year.
      What I was trying to say is what is the point of even spending the money if you can't use the software indefintely? Why even offer such a package? And yes I guess I was foolish to even get the leased license if I feel this way, but I'm sure that there are others out there that feel the same way.

Comment

• peterska2
        • Oct 2003
        • 3.7.x

I got a leased licence at first as I wasn't sure how long I would have the site especially as I was totally new to the world of running a BB. After about 11 months had passed my site was still ticking over ok so I upgraded to an owned licence. I then started a new venture too which I had big doubts about, but I still got a leased licence, then 12 months later upgraded that one to an owned licence too.

Some people, like myself, get a leased licence if they are not sure how the site is going to span out. Others only want something for a short-ish period so get aleased licence. Yet others get a leased licence as that is what is within their budget.

Comment

• coffeefix
          • May 2005

I also emailed Jelosoft about this. Here is the response I got:

Those other companies have different license than we do. There are also great differences in the way they handle issues such as support.

I'm sorry that you feel as if you were "ripped off", but everything was explained up front before you made your purchase.

Please let me know if you require any further assistance.
          support has been great on the other companies, as I have used their software before. (wbb, IPB).

This response to me was a total cop out in my opinion. I know that Jelosoft nor anyone else is required to answer my question or even respond in any way, and yes I know "everything was explained up front" but my question is why not keep your leased license customers happy and let their version be run indefinitely? I guess that is the advantage of being "the top forum software comapny" They can disregard inquiries and concerns by the general public once they are no longer a licensed customer.

Comment

• Cole2026
            • Apr 2004
            • 3.6.x

Jelsoft has done things this way forever.

Personally, this is a great way to do things, a license that allows you to run the software for x amount of time, 30 days to upgrade to change your mind, and if your site does cop out, you're not left with an unused piece of merchandise.

They have to have large scale support to change a business policy that has been going on for so on. They're not going to change policy because one customer wants it changed.

Comment

• Fusion
              • Aug 2001
              • 3.8.x

A lease (of any kind) implies a time-limitation, so it's not logical to expect a lease to be a life-time license. As for why they have the two licenses, you have had several examples of why people might want go with a lease first.
              Toddler from Hell

Comment

• coffeefix
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Fusion
                A lease (of any kind) implies a time-limitation, so it's not logical to expect a lease to be a life-time license. As for why they have the two licenses, you have had several examples of why people might want go with a lease first.

So pay $85 and $160 on top of it? Yes I know you have 30 days in which to upgrade to an owned license but 30 days is not really long enough to know if your forum is going to get off the ground.

They have to have large scale support to change a business policy that has been going on for so on. They're not going to change policy because one customer wants it changed.
                Oh I know that I'm not the only person. Maybe on this site I am in the minority but I know quite a few people who agree with me on this.

Jelsoft has done things this way forever.
                I guess when your are at the top of the forum software business ..............

Comment

• Fusion
                  • Aug 2001
                  • 3.8.x

It sounds like you may be better off using cheaper or even free forum software 'til you are sure your forum is viable. vBulletin isn't everybody's cup of tea, nor has it ever claimed to be.
                  Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Total666
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 3.6.x

I first bought a leased licence , then on the 29 th day I bought the life-time licence ... This is great / well designed software , and personally , the support people do a wonderful job ( quick too ) with their help .. So now 30 $ a year for upgrades / support is a drop in the bucket ... Total

Comment

• grundybin
                      • Mar 2005

I paid for the full one straight out!
                      Luke
                      Cheap Web Hosting

Comment

• coffeefix
                        • May 2005

I paid for the full one straight out!
                        lol, guess I should've huh?

I'll probably end up renewing (getting the lifetime license that is) soon anyway. Not sure though.

Comment

• melefire
                          • Jan 2006

i had a idea for s great site so right off the top i paid $160 for a owned copy
                          http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/custo...ic109960_1.gif
                          An awsome internet/computers community!

Comment

• gulldarek
                            • Nov 2001
                            • 1.1.x

I think I've found a good example.

"Why not keep your leased car customers happy and let their cars be run indefinitely?"

You can buy a car for that price. But it won't be Ferrari nor anything good :-)

Comment

• coffeefix
                              • May 2005

I think I've found a good example.

"Why not keep your leased car customers happy and let their cars be run indefinitely?"

You can buy a car for that price. But it won't be Ferrari nor anything good

Yeah but we are talking about forum software here not vehicles, while I understand your analogy, it's like apples and oranges. Besides a car depreciates as soon as you drive it off the lot. VB 3.5 is VB 3.5 and will always be 3.5 and will always run, no matter how many newer versions come out afterwards.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...