Potential Google Fix for vB's dupe woes???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kevinmanphp
    • Jul 2005

Potential Google Fix for vB's dupe woes???

Well... now that the googlebot accepts wildcards in robots.txt... I have put together some disallows that will hopefully solve all of vB's duplicate content penalizations (I HAVE TONS). One or two dupes are no big deal.. but if google gets all the links on your forums like mine... you can get up to 8+ dupes and that is NO GOOD - all go to sup index.

Someone please check this robots.txt entry and let me know if this is safe to use. I am not too hip on the robots exclusions syntax and would appreciate a friendly "looks good to me" for my lines below.

NOTE: I WANT to have showthread.php indexed... just without the params listed below:

Code:
    User-agent: Googlebot
    Disallow: /*goto=
    Disallow: /*mode=
    Disallow: /*showthread.php?p=
    Disallow: /*&pp=
    Disallow: /*showthread.php?p=
    Disallow: /*postcount=
    Disallow: /*daysprune=
    Disallow: /*&sort=
    Any flaws with this? Thanks!
  • Gomjaba
    • Jan 2005
    • 3.5.x

You could also ask on vbseo.com ...
    I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol like some thinkle peep I am!

Comment

• kevinmanphp
      • Jul 2005

They would probably just recommend getting their software to re-write the URLs. I would just like someone to give me a quick confirmation that my robots write up is correct and that I wouldnt be accidentally telling the SE's to delete everything from my vB. Thanks!

Comment

• Chroder
        • Dec 2002

Don't the URL's perm redirect to actual showthread.php?t=# pages? (Except p= I guess)

Comment

• kevinmanphp
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Chroder
          Don't the URL's perm redirect to actual showthread.php?t=# pages? (Except p= I guess)
          Nope... god I would love it if they did.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...