X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scott MacVicar
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Dec 2000

New Macbooks

Apple released the new Macbooks today to replace the old PPC iBooks. The black looks super shiny and I think I may need to get one

I'm tempted to wait until things settle down first, maybe go for a 3rd generation Mactel one rather than the current 2nd generations.

Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter
  • filburt1
    • Feb 2002

I can't believe they have the dual body parts to demand $150 more for the black model compared to an identically-equipped white model.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by filburt1
      I can't believe they have the dual body parts to demand $150 more for the black model compared to an identically-equipped white model.
      Ditto

Comment

• MrNase
        • Jun 2003
        • 3.8.x

$150..? It's around $257 for those who pay in Euro...

What I can't understand is why they only offer the black skin for the 2Ghz model..

And what is also important for all MacBook Pro owners: They lowered the price! That means all those of you who bought a MacBook Pro at the time when it came out are now suffering a fall of value.

For me, as a former Windows user, Apple is nothing to admire anymore.. What they did in the past, in my eyes, lowered their prestige a lot.. Apple is not a company with good ideas anymore.. Bootcamp is bad and any further steps are even worse because they lead to an 'every day' company that wants to do anything to please the audience.
        That's the end of that!

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

MacBook Pros are still larger.

Anyway, I think apple is doing the right thing in the most respects. They need to attract a larger number of users, swithcing to cheaper hardware is an easy way to do it.

Comment

• filburt1
            • Feb 2002

Now they need to make a tablet PC (not a touchscreen, that's 100% different; a tablet has a Wacom induction tablet on top of the screen). It needs to support a 7200 RPM drive, real graphics (not Intel integrated crap), and I'll sell my tablet to buy that one.

And not a slate. Definitely not a slate.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

One of the reasons I've held back from buying a new mini was the crap hardware from the onboard intel, the ati in my ppc version is signficatly better.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • Dec 2000

The difference between the black and the white is also the finish, from what I've read the black ones have the same finish that is on the iPod nano's and the white ones use the standard plastic that is in the iBook hence the price difference.

I'd probably still stick with the white one though, I use my iBook for surfing in bed (like I'm doing just now), watching videos and occasionally taking notes. Oh and annoying Kier with, shoop shoop anyone?

The current iBook is a G4 with an 800mhz processor and 384mb of ram, when I hit a site with flash in it i get the spinning beach ball. I'm going to be in London in a few weeks time so I'll be checking out the apple store to see if they have of these new ones to play with.

Personally I'm happy with the faster processors, more memory and the fact I wont need to carry 2 laptops about any more. I can just dual book my new Macbook and have the best of both. Though the integrated graphics card do depress me a little, good fast processor, nice disks, plenty of memory and then the graphics card...

If the graphics card was better I'd have got a Mac Mini along time ago, we can only hope that Apple will do something about the graphics card thats onboard, though I do realise that space is a real consideration.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• cirisme
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                  Apple released the new Macbooks today to replace the old PPC iBooks. The black looks super shiny and I think I may need to get one

I'm tempted to wait until things settle down first, maybe go for a 3rd generation Mactel one rather than the current 2nd generations.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html
                  I'm really going to have to get one... though I don't think the black looks so hot.
                  TheologyWeb. We debate theology. srsly.

Comment

• ehjay
                    • Apr 2002
                    • 3.6.x

To me the biggest hurdle in appreciating this latest product intro is the advent of mandatory glossy screens on these babies.

They just aren't worth the added expense or pain related to their use -- I've had/used both glossy and matte screens, and despite the marketed bonuses to gloss it just doesn't ever work that way.

I agree that the $150 for black is totally ridiculous, hopefully that'll find its way to an equal level soon.
                    www.warboards.org

Comment

• WurkAnimal
                      • Aug 2005
                      • 3.5.x

They look nice, I'm after a iBook also.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                        • Dec 2000
                        • 3.6.x

I used to buy Macs for their looks too.

Comment

• Vile
                          • Jul 2002
                          • 3.6.x

These new notbooks are very tempting...They look great.

Now if only apple would learn to make some decent commercials
                          Webmaster / Administrator
                          www.MegaGames.com
                          www.MGForums.com

Comment

• chrispadfield
                            • Aug 2000

Screen resolution is pretty disapointing. For now Dell easily wins on this front.
                            Christopher Padfield
                            Web Based Helpdesk
                            DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

Now that you've taken a look at the pretty outside, here's a peak at the inside:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...