How do I find out what "time" Vbulletin uses?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sub_ubi
    • Dec 2004

How do I find out what "time" Vbulletin uses?

I am trying to find a problem user, and am using "user search" to narrow down the list. However, in order to narrow the list, I need to include times in my search Specifically:

Join Date is Before(yyyy-mm-dd)

Last Visit is After(yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss)

The problem is, another admin (who has a different time set up in his profile than me) and I are coming up with different results. We both enter the times according to what vbulletin shows us (using the times of certain posts).

What is the official time Vbulletin uses for User Search, and how do I find out the time? Also, does it use military 24 hour time?
  • Scott MacVicar
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Dec 2000

It uses the 24 hour clock and the time is offset to the particular user. If the two admins are in different timezones it will compensate so you'll see the time in your native timezones.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• sub_ubi
      • Dec 2004

Actually that's not true, it's why we were getting different results. The times when you use "search user" completely ignore your profile time.

Anyway, I found out it uses the default time you set in vbulletin -> options, no matter what time you have in your profile.

This is for the outdated version 3.0.3, it's probably been fixed, but just in case it hasn't thought I'd let you know.

Comment

• Alastor
        • Apr 2004
        • 3.8.x

I'm having the same issue. I just set up my boards and got a new user. I wanted to see what time he made his post.

I have the time set to GMT -7 (Mountain standard time) which is where I am at. The problem is that it says he made the post today at 20:18 - which is 8:18 PM...

And it's only 2:30 PM here now.

So... What the Hell? How do I set the time on this bad boy?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

vBulletin gets its time from the server. You need to set the timezone and DST settings in the Admin CP to match the timezone of the server your forums are running on. Then each user needs to set their local timezones/DST in the User CP. If you do this correctly and the server time is correct, then the correct times will show.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Alastor
            • Apr 2004
            • 3.8.x

Thank you, Steve. That did the trick.

Comment

• Alastor
              • Apr 2004
              • 3.8.x

Might I propose in the future that we just have an option to tell the boards what time it really is? I had to call my host to get the physical location of his server... Was sort of a pain.

Is it feasible for us to just tell the boards what time it is and go from there in the future?

It's something that should be considered I think. A very simple, "Please tell the boards what time it is where you are at, and where are you by the way?" Doing that during the set-up would be ultra easy for the user I think.

Comment

• Polish Guy
                • Mar 2006
                • 3.5.x

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a similar issue.

I have my forum's time set through the ACP -> VB Options -> Date and Time Settings.

The time option selected is -5GMT (Eastern time zone).

Now my problem is my board is ~20-21 minutes fast and growing faster by a fraction over a period of time. Now, is there a way to resest whatever clock the forum feeds off of? It certainly isn't getting the time from my computer, nor that of my users (logged in or not) as they are in the same boat and I'm just confused where to start.

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
                  • Nov 2004
                  • 3.8.x

It is getting the time from the server. You might need to contact your host about the server time running fast.
                  Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                  Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

It gets the time from the server, period. If the time is off the servers time is off.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...