Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnygem
    • May 2006

Vbulletin vs. FREE FORUM SOFTWARE?

Can anybody please explain to me why I should pay for VBULLETIN instead of using a free service such as PHPBB. I sincerely would like a user to sell me. Maybe even someone out there has used both? thanks
  • whitetigergrowl
    • Jun 2004
    • 5.1.x

PHPBB is full of just as many security holes as there are holes in swiss cheese.

While no software is ever gonna be 100% security bug free due to too many variables by those using the software...VB has a reputation for being amongst one of the most secure forum softwares out there.

That old saying "You get what you pay for." has never been truer.

And if something is found a patch is put out immediately. But thats honestly pretty rare.

Comment

• derfy
      • Jul 2005
      • 3.8.x

Honestly, use the search feature. This topic has been done to death. The intel you will get when searching will smother any topics brought up in one post/thread.

Comment

• Jordan Pardy
        • Mar 2006

Well, with vBulletin, you get support from the vBulletin team. The software has much more features and is more secure than phpBB.

I can't say vBulletin is the best forum software out there, there's kind of a tie between vB and IPB, IMO. But the design and features of vB are a little better than Invision... and much better than phpBB.

I've been using phpBB for one of my forums for years, as well as Invision Power Board and vBulletin. phpBB is a stable product, and there isn't that much security problems as some people might think, as long as you stay to up to date. Invision, in general is a terrible product for design and it lacks some good features of vB, but the ACP is organized and nice looking (2.1 tabbed).

But overall, you get what yu pay for, as another member has mentioned.

Comment

• Quillz
          • Nov 2004
          • 5.0.X

Design is a matter of opinion. Some people feel IPB looks better than vB.
          Forums

Comment

• Deegan1
            • May 2006

I do think that the customer service could be more friendly, and patient IMHO. I realize that you grow tired of the same questions, and that it is frustrating to try and convey certain things to folks that don't have a clue, like myself. But my experience here, let's just say it has not been a pleasent one, and with all the other free options, you may want to consider this when dealing with your customers.

Comment

• Alan @ CIT
              • Nov 2004

johnny,

Your probably asking on the wrong site, as people here will generally be biased towards vBulletin since that's what they use. If you made the same post on phpbb.com, the opposite would happen

I'd suggest posting on a neutral site, such as www.theadminzone.com if you want an un-biased opinion

Thanks,
              Alan.

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Deegan1
                I do think that the customer service could be more friendly, and patient IMHO. I realize that you grow tired of the same questions, and that it is frustrating to try and convey certain things to folks that don't have a clue, like myself. But my experience here, let's just say it has not been a pleasent one, and with all the other free options, you may want to consider this when dealing with your customers.
                If you'd like to give feedback about support please pm Steve Machol directly, we appreciate comments as it helps us improve what we believe to be an excellent service of support.
                Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Deegan1
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                  If you'd like to give feedback about support please pm Steve Machol directly, we appreciate comments as it helps us improve what we believe to be an excellent service of support.
                  I'll keep that in mind, thank you.

Comment

• Alteran Ancient
                    • May 2005
                    • 3.8.x

I could personally slag off phpBB any day. The security holes in it are lit up like Time Square, and the functions are a little lame and constricting.
                    But vBulletin is just the best and most secure. You're far better of with vB!
                    -- David.

If I spend much more time browsing these forums, I could be subjected to: 1. Burnt retinas, 2. Angry customers, 3. Lack of moderation, 4. Arguments.
                    This used to be a nice place; what the hell's gone wrong?

Comment

• harishankar
                      • Dec 2005

phpBB simply put does not appear to be actively developed. Sure, Olympus is been in the making for five or six years and they're yet to release a beta version of it to the public. The original code of phpBB 2 is very old and the PHP coding is very dated. Security holes are being patched, but that's about it. The features in a modern vBulletin board simply blows phpBB out of the water.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...