X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • florida_guy
    • Apr 2006
    • 3.5.x

working with vb on local machine

Hello everyone. This is my first post here.

I read in another thread I found from searching that a license gives you the right to have a development copy of vb provided you put it in a specific directory on your web server. However, I am wondering if it's possible and legal to have a copy on my local desktop computer?

I have secured a domain and decided on a hosting company. I am in the process of developing my site. I don't want to start paying hosting fees until I'm ready to go live and I don't know how long that will be.

I expect my forums to be a important part of my site and vb is the top candidate at the moment. I want to integrate it into my sites look and feel and have plenty of time to explore and play with all the options. The best way to do this would be to have it running locally. Can I do this?

My live version will be Linux with Apache but my desktop is XP with IIS. I have installed php locally but I am currently getting an error "No input file specified." when I try to run a test php file. I have it set up to run with php5isapi.dll and the googling I've done says I should only get that error if I'm running .cgi

I like what they've done with this editor. I belong to another forum that uses an older version of vb.
  • KimmiKat
    • Jul 2003

As quoted by the license, you can set up a test forum to check things out. Although it mentions the test board being on your server, you can also put it on your local computer for testing.

Originally posted by License Agreement
    If you have a valid licence, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our licence verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public.
    Kim

Comment

• florida_guy
      • Apr 2006
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by KimmiKat
      As quoted by the license, you can set up a test forum to check things out. Although it mentions the test board being on your server, you can also put it on your local computer for testing.
      O.K. Thanks. Now all I have to do is solve my "No input file specified." when I try to run my test php file and dole out the cash.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

Yes, vBulletin customers with a legal license have permission to run a development copy on a temporary basis, private- away from the public. This can be your computer or web host, or whereever.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...