X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wilhelm32
    • Mar 2006
    • 3.5.x

ASP VBulletin

Hello, I love VBulletin, it's fast, easy to use, and honestly has everything we need.

However I need to use forums in servers which may only support asp. I was wondering...is there any plans to make an asp, asp.net based VBulletin?

If not, would there be anything wrong if I analyzed VBulletin's source, to try and see what functionalities I can port to asp, and make a small version of vbulletin on asp?

I wouldn't copy anything of your source though...at all...

nor would I use vbulletin's name, images, nothing
  • Colin F
    • May 2004

Hi

We don't currently have an ASP based version of vBulletin, and I can't imagine that something like this will come soon.
    You're free to try to port vBulletin to ASP if you have a valid vBulletin license and don't distribute your code.
    If you get to a stage where this turns usable you might also want to contact support to see what restrictions you'd have to adhere to, for example if it would still have to be branded as vBulletin.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• wilhelm32
      • Mar 2006
      • 3.5.x

I would mostly try to copy vbulletin in features, not it it's look and feel nor code, since I'm thinking about writing it in C#. Though I would still like to analyze VBulletin's codebase...but never copy any code....

Would there be anything wrong if I copied functionality and features, but not code?

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

I think you're going to run into legal trouble no matter how careful you are.

Comment

• gamestar
          • Apr 2005
          • 3.8.x

As long as you don't copy code, or your code isn't like vb, you may add as much features vb has to your software I guess.
          Vb hasn't a copyright on the features.
          If IPB comes with a new feature, vb also does and visa versa.

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

As gamestar says, technically this is done anyhow, but please contact sales at http://www.vbulletin.com/go/sales/ to get a definite answer.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• wilhelm32
              • Mar 2006
              • 3.5.x

thanks for the info guys

I guess it would be best to write forum software without having vbulletin in mind, anyways I'll be writing it with C# in asp.net, so it will not resemble vb at all.

though, I will be highly interested if ever vb decides to make an asp.net based forum

Comment

• Sovereign
                • Jun 2004
                • 3.7.x

I think if you want to write a forum, vBulletin can't stop you. Just don't rip their code, but that would be pretty hard cause vB is PHP. You can't copyright an idea (like web forums).

Comment

• conqsoft
                  • Jul 2003
                  • 3.6.x

There are already quite a few ASP forum choices as well, if you MUST use ASP.
                  vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• StarShaper
                    • Nov 2005
                    • 3.8.x

Interesting Thread! ASP.NET is still growing and i think it will will become a very important technique in the future. vBulletin is one of the biggest boards on net. You have to move with the times .

Regards
                    StarShaper

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                      Former vBulletin Developer
                      • Dec 2000

Is making something windows only moving with the times?

I wasn't aware of any C# ASP software that works with Apache at this moment in time.
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• wilhelm32
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 3.5.x

Ah Scott what a question of course there is software for that. The Mono project has great advances, including the Mod_Mono apache module...
                        Last module I installed wasn't that stable, but I hear latest versions are..
                        It's just that in no way can you compare a scripting language to a full compiled language as C# is. asp.net components are so much easier to use. Actually in the forums I'm testing you can make per-page forum instances, and configure it however you like, and yes in fewer lines of code than it would take in PHP. The biggest rub right now is compatibility with .Net 2.0 but apart from that I'm moving on..

Comment

• grundybin
                          • Mar 2005

ASP/*.net may have many uses, but if its huge and slow.

If it walks like a hippo then its a HIPPO!!!

Big, Fat, Bulky and slow. i dont care how pimp your server is.
                          Luke
                          Cheap Web Hosting

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by wilhelm32
                            Ah Scott what a question of course there is software for that. The Mono project has great advances, including the Mod_Mono apache module...
                            It's just that in no way can you compare a scripting language to a full compiled language as C# is. asp.net components are so much easier to use. Actually in the forums I'm testing you can make per-page forum instances, and configure it however you like, and yes in fewer lines of code than it would take in PHP. The biggest rub right now is compatibility with .Net 2.0 but apart from that I'm moving on..
                            A testing enviornment is quite different than a full scale deployed enviornment. vBulletin's primary objective is to support large scale boards with minimum resources and it's been proven.

I'm not advocating here that vBulletin just stay where it is, stagnant with no development and innovation, but rather, until what you propose can prove itself in a full-scale daily use operation under similar, if not better conditions vBulletin operates under. Until then, it isn't exactly worth investing a lot of resources into.
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                              Former vBulletin Developer
                              • Dec 2000

Originally posted by wilhelm32
                              My point is why use something that is not yet stable, its unproven and that very few web hosts actually run at this moment in time?

It would by corporate suicide to shun PHP which has massive penetration of the hosting market and move to an ASP version. And dont even think that producing both is a possible solution, thats called code duplication and leads to wasted resources.
                              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...