Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick King
    • Mar 2005

Databas Migration

818hosting has switched servers and are migrating everything over to the new server.

My vBulletin database is on the old server. Because it's not on the same server, I don't know how to use impex to import the database from a whole other server. I tried using my old IP as the server name and it cannot connect that way.

I used PHPMyAdmin and a script called BigDump to manually migrate the SQL file from the old server and used BigDump to dump it into my target database on the new server. All the tables are set up correctly. No missing rows or anything. I used non-complete and non-extended inserts and reconfigured my vbulletin to point to that database. The forum works find except ALL the phrases do not show up. I know the solution to THAT particular problem, my main problem is nobody can log in. All connections with the database in terms of sessions seem to be severed. You log in with the correct password and everything, it says it's the incorrect password. You try to have it emailed to you, it cannot find your email anywhere.

I ran the installer of Vbulletin 3.5.3 and it reinstalled the master language, fixing the phrase problem, but the login problem remains.

I just tried importing my database AGAIN using complete inserts just in case, and the same exact problem occours.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this or at least how to find a solution or where to look. I'm desperate here.
  • Mephisteus
    • Aug 2002
    • 3.7.x

Just to be clear, the new database is on the same server as your file server?

The reason for it not being able to connect would be a common restriction (that can be changed in cPanel) that restricts connections to only the localhost.
    This only applies if you can add an IP to be allowed to connect!
    Change that and see if you can procedingly connect that server and if everything works.
    If it does, make a database backup through vBulletin, import it in phpmyadmin on the new server and change the connection details back.
    If your database is big or the above doesnt apply
    Use SSH to make a database backup and import using
    mysql -u dbusername -p databasename > /path/to/backupname.sql
    to export, upload the file to the new server and run this
    mysql -u dbusername -p databasename < /path/to/backupname.sql

See if everything works.

If neither of this works (or you want to try the easy way). Reupload your config.php, if that doesnt work reupload all the vBulletin files.

If none of this works upload a clean install and see if everything works on that, just to rule out the server being to blame (you might want to start out with this if you are absolutely positive nothing went wrong during the transfer).
    A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern"

Comment

• Nick King
      • Mar 2005

How do I make a backup through vbulletin?

Comment

• Mephisteus
        • Aug 2002
        • 3.7.x

In the ACP under the Maintenance tab (at the bottom in the left frame) look for "Database Backup"
        A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern"

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...