Realistic Usergroup limit still in effect?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pirotess
    • Dec 2001
    • 4.1.x

Realistic Usergroup limit still in effect?

Im putting together the initial framework of an addon to my boards that would utilize the public usergroup functionality of vb 3.5. I wanted to make sure that the public usergroup system was robust enough to handle potentially thousands of usergroups so I came here searching for information on the subject. I was only able to find this thread which refers to the vb 3.0 codebase.

Hello, We recently purchased this software and couldn't find any indication to whether there was any limit on the number of public groups that could be created? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
    As Steve said, the table will hold 65535 entries. However you will hit a practical limit at around a couple of hundred groups. This is because of two reasons....

1) Physical Memory. Every group and all its permissions are loaded into memory on every page load. This has its advantages but with a large number of groups those disappear.

2) Handling Permissions will become very time consuming on your part.
    What concerns me is point number 1. Point number 2 is not an issue for me as Im only using the public groups for their base functionality of grouping registered members together. No additional permissions will be attached to the group that their primary group doesnt already provide.

So in summary, has anything changed in the vb 3.5 codebase that would allow for a higher practical limit on the number of usergroups? I probably dont need to even get close to the 65k limit but would like several thousand without requiring a super computer to run vbulletin on.

If not I'll probably have to build everything from scratch.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

There are different datastore storage methods available in 3.5.x.

includes/config.php

Code:
    	// ****** DATASTORE CACHE CONFIGURATION *****
    	// Here you can configure different methods for caching datastore items.
    	// vB_Datastore_Filecache  - for using a cache file
    // $config['Datastore']['class'] = 'vB_Datastore_Filecache';  
    	// vB_Datastore_Memcached - for using a Memcache server
    	// It is also necessary to specify the hostname or IP address and the port the server is listening on
    // $config['Datastore']['class'] = 'vB_Datastore_Memcached';
    // $config['Misc']['memcacheserver'] = '127.0.0.1'; 
    // $config['Misc']['memcacheport'] = '11211';
    The memcache option might work for you. I recommend you post in the Server Configuration forum for more opinions on this option.

Comment

• Pirotess
      • Dec 2001
      • 4.1.x

Thanks Jake. I'll give that a shot.

Comment