Users awaiting confirmation, why so many?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psplounge
    • Jan 2005

Users awaiting confirmation, why so many?

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation 136

Is this normal?
    I had some people email me asking the link to activate them didnt work.
  • Delos
    • Sep 2005

I too am getting this. I am also being told that the new form in vB3.5 no longer asks for an age, but this may be because I turned COPPA off?

Comment

• jsharper
      • Jun 2005
      • 3.5.x

I seem to have a good chunk of my new users who also can't figure out how to activate. I've come to the conclusion that the two biggest things that contribute to that are activation emails ending up in spam folders (yahoo.com especially) and the fact that when the forum sends automated followup activation emails a couple of days after registration, the new emails contain a new activation code and the original activation code is then no longer valid.

So what happens is that days later when the user finally gets around to activating, or finally finds the email(s) in their spam folder, they try to activate using the activation code and instructions in the first email that they received, and that won't work... I really think that once they are sent an activation code, that further followup activation emails (whether they are the automated emails or emails sent at the request of the user or admin) should contain the same activation code as the original.

Comment

• webwizard2
        • Mar 2005

run a check in admin controlpanel /diagnostics email and see if it doesnt give you errors many people are reporting this problem but its getting blamed on server issues this didnt happen till upgraded to 3.51 or 3.52

Comment

• iardon
          • Jun 2005
          • 3.8.x

Probably going to the spam/bulk mail box that no one checks. A problem also on my forum.
          DMCTalk.com forums - For DeLorean owners and enthusiasts.

Comment

• C_P
            • Aug 2004

Sice I upgraded to 3.5.1 from 3.05 The mailing function returned an error while trying to send the mail. Pertinent PHP Settings SMTP:localhostsendmail_from:Nonesendmail_path:/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i Results No errors were returned while attempting to send the email. Check ******@msn.com (******@msn.com) shortly to confirm

Note this topic. It looks like a vB bug that needs to get addressed.

Since the upgrade I am having same issue also gmail and hotmail. Everyone that uses these accounts never gets the email and I am getting the Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
            unrouteable mail domain yada yada yada

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Email Options and my Enable "-f" Parameter was and always has been set to Yes.
            This only started after the upgrade to 3.5.2
            ALSO, any subscribers will not get their emails as I get their bounceback emails
            unrouteable mail domain "yahoo.com"
            unrouteable mail domain "gmail.com"
            unrouteable mail domain "hotmail.com"

I have temporarily turned off email validation requirement for registration until fixed but this is a bit much as I am getting overwhelmed with email bouncebacks now! I will open a support ticket if need be but this should be addressed as I have now seen 4 posts with same issue after updating this.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

C_P, as you have been told your problem is a server issue and does not relate to all the threads you are posting in. Please start one thread for your problem if you need any more help.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• jsharper
                • Jun 2005
                • 3.5.x

C_P,
                I just registered on your board in order to send a test email to myself from your board. Here is one problem you have:

Your web server itself, 65.98.68.146, appears to be sending out the emails. The reverse DNS for that IP is "nbsdesignz.com." But forward DNS for nbsdesignz.com. is 65.98.56.146 which does not include 65.98.68.146. Until you get that problem resolved, there will be MANY email servers around the internet that will flat out refuse to accept email from you (because quite often, incorrect DNS configuration is a strong indication of a possible spam source). This has nothing to do with vBulletin.

Hope that helps... Get your reverse and forward DNS straightened out and see if your ability to send out emails improves.

Comment

• C_P
                  • Aug 2004

Thank you much for your testing. I have updated our host with this info on your testing also.

Comment

• C_P
                    • Aug 2004

I just changed to SMTP and it worked perfectly! I updated host on this.

Comment

• wacnstac
                      • Jul 2000
                      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by jsharper
                      C_P,
                      I just registered on your board in order to send a test email to myself from your board. Here is one problem you have:

Your web server itself, 65.98.68.146, appears to be sending out the emails. The reverse DNS for that IP is "nbsdesignz.com." But forward DNS for nbsdesignz.com. is 65.98.56.146 which does not include 65.98.68.146. Until you get that problem resolved, there will be MANY email servers around the internet that will flat out refuse to accept email from you (because quite often, incorrect DNS configuration is a strong indication of a possible spam source). This has nothing to do with vBulletin.

Hope that helps... Get your reverse and forward DNS straightened out and see if your ability to send out emails improves.
                      Does it look like I have a similar problem? Would it help to use SMTP? This problem has become huge for me seemingly after 3.5.2 as well. Why can't vbulletin make an email that doesn't look like spam that get's thrown to bulk email? Would SMTP indeed be better.... why?
                      Last edited by wacnstac; Thu 5 Jan '06, 5:26pm.

Comment

• apfparadise
                        • Jan 2005
                        • 3.6.x

I have the same problem with my 3.52 installation. I am kind of tired of manually activating users, but nothing is happening. Sorry to bring up an old post, but I can't figure it out.

Comment

• neuston
                          • May 2006

I face the same problem, is the problem common? is it solved?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

You need to start your own thread with all the relevant details.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...