X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • InfidelMatt
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.5.x

Profile Pictures are 'scrambled' after update from 3.x to 3.5.1

In both 3.0.7, and now 3.5.1 profile pictures are stored in the database. The problem is that in the new version, the old pictures are brought in scrambled and unrecognizable.

Note that uploading new pictures works fine.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Matt
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Did you backup and restore this database? There is a corruption problem with shell backups for vB 3.0.x made with the mysqldump from MySQL 4.1.x. To fix this problem, run these queries on the db prior to making the backup:

ALTER TABLE attachment CHANGE filedata filedata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL, CHANGE thumbnail thumbnail MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE customavatar CHANGE avatardata avatardata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE customprofilepic CHANGE profilepicdata profilepicdata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

We found that a character set issue in MySQL 4.1.x is at fault. Converting these fields to mediumblob fixes the problem.

This is not an issue with vB 3.5.0 because these fields are already set this way.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
      Former vBulletin Developer
      • May 2000
      • 1.1.x

Note, the problem only occurs with 3.0.7 or older. 3.0.8 already has those queries performed.

Comment

• InfidelMatt
        • Nov 2005
        • 3.5.x

That must be it. I won't have to worry about it when I push the upgrade on my live board, good to know.

Comment

• zendiver
          • Sep 2004
          • 3.5.x

None of my profiles are showing up either, yet I see them all in the `vb3_customprofilepic` table of the database. I am running 3.5.2 now as I was running 3.0.3. Is there way to retrieve them now so that they are exported back into the proper folder so they will be viewable? I have read through almost every post that showed up with something like this in the title from doing a search. I have done the 'move to database' back to files...etc....yet they are still visible in the table.
          Last edited by zendiver; Wed 14 Dec '05, 5:09pm.
          Check out my latest Dive Videos.
          Spend your surface interval at www.zendiving.com

Comment

• zendiver
            • Sep 2004
            • 3.5.x

I have said the heck with it and have asked my members to reupload their profile photos. NOW when they do, the get an error: "Upload of file failed."
            This is not true. Their upload did succeed and their profile picture is in the appropriate folder 'customprofilepics'. I am glad that it works, but why are they receiving this error. I tried it myself and got the same error yet my photo uploaded and is visible.

Any thoughts?

Comment

• zendiver
              • Sep 2004
              • 3.5.x

Is anyone else having this issue of uploading profile pictures. They seem to upload, but they get an error before it does.

Comment

• Art Andrews
                • Jan 2005
                • 4.0.x

-Update: Problem fixed-

I moved the avatars and profile pics to the database, and then I unsuccessfully tried to move them back into the file system. The problem was the "customprofilepic" directory was new and did not have 777 permissions.

After CMOD-ing the "customprofilepic" directory, the profile pictures were restored and worked properly within the forum.

---------------------------------------
                Yes, I am having the same error. On my main forum, it shows a broken image to the user's profile picture. Even Vb reports that I have one meg used on profile pictures, even though there are none in the customprofilepics folder. Uploading over the old profile pic doesn't work at all on that board.

On a test board I upgraded, uploading the profile picture results in an error, but it is visible afterward, just as you described, Zendiver.
                Last edited by Art Andrews; Wed 21 Dec '05, 9:56am.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                  Former vBulletin Developer
                  • May 2000
                  • 1.1.x

When upgrading to 3.5.x from 3.0.x and you have avatars in the FS, you must move them back to the DB and then back out to the FS. This note is in the release announcement.

As for the "Upload Failed" problem, please submit a support ticket and ask for it to be assigned to me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...