X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dethfire
    • Mar 2003
    • 3.8.x

What is Full-text search

How is it different and better than the previous way of searching? What new things can we do with full-text searching? Can users type in regular expressions with their searches?
    http://www.physicsforums.com
  • Sam FT
    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by dethfire
    How is it different and better than the previous way of searching? What new things can we do with full-text searching? Can users type in regular expressions with their searches?
    I too am wondering the same thing. I have dealt with MySQL before, but I want to know the difference between vBulletin search versus MySQL Fulltext search.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

A Fulltext search should be easier on searching esp when using the natural language option vs the standard vBulletin search. As it uses MySQL's builtin fulltext searching functions.

Comment

• webmasterii
        • Sep 2005

easier as in less load on the server, or easier as for the end-user ?

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Comment

• Marc Smith
            • Aug 2001
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by dethfire
            I'm wondering this as well. That is so far the replies have been with respect to effects on server.

What queries can users use? + , -, quotes? I'm searching the internet now as the built in FAQ basically only says "Yeah, you can do searches". Many of my users (and me...) need more detailed 'work instructions' that I put in a thread in a special 'How To' forum.

If I find any good references with details I'll come back to this thread and 'Reply', but in the mean time if anyone can help with some details of a good link, my thanks in advance.

Comment

• mark99
              • Oct 2002

I too have been looking for information on this, yet the URL linked above is missing the page and returns an error =(. I looked in the manual from fresh and couldn't find an explanation or more info. either.

In addition, if I perform the upgrade then is it wise to select "Yes" for this (doesn't it kill essential data?):

Empty postindex and word tables?
              This can also be done from the Maintenance section later.
              Can I revert to the old search if I run into problems? More info pls devs.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                Former vBulletin Developer
                • May 2000
                • 1.1.x

When using boolean fulltext search, you can use the same operators that the normal vBulletin search supports, .e.g. OR AND NOT. You can also use quotes to surround phrases.

When using the Natural Language search, you can use none of the above but it will be easier on your server.

If the vBulletin search is working fine for you - meaning it isn't causing load problems on your server, there is no compelling reason for you to switch to the Fulltext search.

If it causing you problems then going to fulltext and allowing your users to use the Boolean search is going to continue to cause you problems, probably more.

For this, the solution we have given you, is to use the Natural Language search for your forums. This search is not as precise as the other two options but it does leave you with a feasible search when your server power can not keep up with the amount of searching being done on your forums.

There is nothing inherently wrong with vBulletin's search routines. Searching is just a resource intensive task.

Comment

• dsotmoon
                  • Jun 2003

can I pose this?

I have an automotive site with alot of technichal info that can be found via seacrh, most users use the simple search drop down box and have alot of complaints about the results being full of "fluff"

I'm on a dedicated server (barton 3000, 1GB ram), users online average 50-100, 700 total or so in a day with loads around 2 or under at all times

which search would you choose, full text or standard vB search? searching now causes no problems or spikes that i can tell

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • May 2000
                    • 1.1.x

Take away the natural language permission from the usergroups, leaving the boolean option.

Comment

• Bob Isaac
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.8.x

I have just tried converting from vB search to Fulltext on our dev site, and reindexing was so quick. ~5 mins compared with ~45 mins indexing vB search indices.

Where is the search data held when using Fulltext search?

Bob

Comment

• erc
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 3.5.x

I believe the fulltext search function searches directly against the posts in the database, so no extra tables or fields are needed. I think mysql stores takes care of the indexing internally.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...