What's the Cheapest QUALITY dedicated server?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zecherieh
    • Oct 2000
    • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by BrentWilson

After a few years, and about 20,000 paid them for hosting at the start of July we had a metatag keyword in one of the sites that another company had filed (not yet finalized) for trademark protection on. Due to some mistakes that where entirely of my own, then being flat out lied to by the person running that site, the problem was not resolved in a couple of days. Though I thought it was, (as I said flat out lied to by the person running the site - we are not a hosting company, I know the person) - the next day - my server goes down. I end up finding out that they terminated the server for not removing the metatag (should mention we had three servers at this time, two of them linux I used, one of them windows - he used - the site was on his server, I never get on that server, heck, would take me an hour just to figure out how to connect to it ) -

Problem is, they terminated my main Linux server. I am still not overly upset - we screwed up on my end, competely - they have to do what they have to do to protect their ass. And their was enough confusion in the air for them to get the wrong server, and even that I can understand. What I to this day can not understand is them putting a notification that it was still a problem in a closed ticket, which if it was in a new live ticket - when I was in the control panel requesting a reboot an hour later - I would have seen it. That annoyed me - but not the end of the world.

So they just cancel that one server, do not touch the other two. The problem now is that they tell me, less than two hours after they terminated the server, that they had already restored the server to its original specs. Without of course giving me a moment to get my stuff off it.

Now I am a little upset. .... Week later, after lawyers got involved, they magically found the disks, unharmed. I get 24 hours to move around 100gigs of stuff off of the two disks.

Life goes on, now I have one server with them .. a month later the guy with the windows goes elsewhere for his hosting (which pleased me since he was the root of the original problem)

About a week ago, they terminated my other server with them. They had gotten nine spam requests, and then two days later my server apparently was being used for a hack attempt on their servers. Hell I can understand that being a problem - obviously I had been hacked, and I can even understand that in the end is my problem, and my responsiblity to ensure doesnt happen.

What I can not understand is them refusing to give us the data on the disk once again. (I finally got access to it a few hours ago, luckly this time this server was only 1 harddrive, compared to the two harddrive one )

I loved Rackshack/EV1Servers for a long time - recommended more people than I can remember to use them. Can not really say I will do that ever again. My issue was never, and will never be the terminations - both were, while not the end of the world issues, they were issues on my end that I in the end am fully responsible for. Its the lack of them giving a damn about you or what you might have on that disk afterwords that is what annoyed me. Backups only do so much good - Personally I work directly on the server, have my own filemanager that operates much like windows, my own editor that is fast, simple, and nothing but script and html - and has line numbering and syntax highlighting - So to not have access to the disks, means that my latest work, I just dont have any more (though I am correcting this - currently my system already makes a duplicate of ever save I make, so I have ever version of ever file, just need to add in a bit to make it also send that to a gmail account and not worry about it ever again

Comment

• Mac Write
      • Oct 2001
      • 4.2.x

Ouch

My friend has a server hosted with Tera Byte. a month back or so he got an e-mail saying that his server was being used to spam. So we had to look into it, sent them the logs and in the end it was spoofing (well thats what they concluded from reading the logs).

After hearing these stories, I think I am going to rethink dedicated servers and go the co-location route. Worst case the server is pulled, but the data is still intact since you own the server, but the cost is $$$$ compared to dedicated servers. He pays $50/month for 15GB NetNation charges like $300 for 500GB 4U space.

What are reseasonable options for Co-location in Canada (since if I host in the US I have to pay US taxes on everything I earn (Google)).

Comment

• lizfire
        • Oct 2005

Are you expecting alot of hits and what type of connection do you have at home?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...