Settings used here for similar thread search ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sownman
    • Jun 2004

Settings used here for similar thread search ?

Generaly I think the similar thread displays here are relevant to the thread. I can't come anywhere close to that on my site. I've tried changing parameters to get better results, but no luck. Can one of you VB guys tell me what the settings you use are. BTW if they are default please let me know what default was. I didn't think to write them down before starting to futz with them.

Thanks

Steve
  • Jose Amaral Rego
    • Feb 2005
    • 1.1.x

We were talking about that yesterday but it seems to do with topic title than what is in thread or they have to rebuild simular threads to get new revelant info.

I to would like to know how this works and if other setting to accomplish this.
    I also want to know what this forum sets its setting to each of the 10 question
    vBulletin Option>>Message Searching Relevance Sorting Options

Plus in this settings
    vbulletin Option>>Message Searching Options--Similar Threads Relevance Threshold

How do I add this related topics mod to my site? I have searched and searched and I must have the wrong name. Thanks
    Last edited by Jose Amaral Rego; Tue 6 Sep '05, 6:57pm.

Comment

• Sownman
      • Jun 2004

Bump

Any VB guy that can give us the settings ?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Here's the defaults.
        Attached Files
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
          • Feb 2005
          • 1.1.x

You mean vbulletin.com does not change the setting in, it is all still default settings.
          Message Searching Relevance Sorting Options
          Message Searching Options--Similar Threads Relevance Threshold-->3.5<--

Comment

• onlinecc
            • Apr 2005

Hi,
            I'm having a similar problem, I don't know what the default setting is for the "Similar Threads Relevance Threshold" variable. Right now it is set to "2005-3-5 12:00:00 AM"... This can't be correct, right?

A second queston: There never was an answer to "Sownman's" question about what the settings are here in this forum. I agree that the similar threads here are usually very good. Are the setting here default or something else?

Thanks!

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

The default setting for 'Similar Threads Relevance Threshold' is '3.5'.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• onlinecc
                • Apr 2005

Ok, thanks a alot! I'll try that

I guess we're not getting any closer to the settings of vbulletin.com then?

Thanks,
                Martin.

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 1.1.x

Originally posted by onlinecc
                  Ok, thanks a alot! I'll try that

I guess we're not getting any closer to the settings of vbulletin.com then?

Thanks,
                  Martin.
                  No, those are correct, you need to word your titles so that it would work properly and probable use the Update Counter->Rebuild Similar Threads. It should have a way so you can enter your post to fall in certain seach catagories, which then you can see a list to relevant topic that obtains to your searching parameters? Good idea, is it not!

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • May 2000
                    • 1.1.x

NOTE

If you are using the Fulltext search, all of those settings are meaningless. When fulltext is enabled, the results are done using MySQL's relevancy feature. This forum is using Fulltext so that is where the results are coming from.

The search just goes off of thread titles and how relevant they are to the thread title that was just posted. Results are not dynamic, in that it is built when the thread is posted and not updated unless you rebuild the similar threads in the admin cp.

Comment

• onlinecc
                      • Apr 2005

OK, I'll look into the Fulltext search thing and try to understand what is going on..

Thanks again!

Comment

• sst
                        • Mar 2002
                        • 3.5.x

newbie question

we have just upgraded to 3.5 and selected 'auto similar thread search'
                        we are using default search method
                        but we dont see any similar threads

how do we make this visible?

ps also I cannot find the Message Searching Relevance Options (Default Search) page
                        I find the Message Searching Options (Default Search) page
                        ~ consciousness changes everything ~

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

If you just enabled similar threads for the first time, you need to have it rebuilt.

AdminCP > Maintenance > Update Counters > Rebuild similar threads

Comment

• sst
                            • Mar 2002
                            • 3.5.x

Thanks - I now rebuilt and turned on the similar speech thread - but still there are none showing... Even with same words in the title.

eg http://www.ayurvedahc.com/ivi/forums...splay.php?f=44
                            many threads have the same word (cancer). but none show a similar thread.
                            ~ consciousness changes everything ~

Comment

• Zachery
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • Jul 2002

Similiar threads are based on titles. Not content.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...