Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • commTRU
    • Jul 2005

Corrupt Images?

Recently something odd happend to our images. Some members avatar images do not appear (Just a red cross), signature images either don't appear or appear corrupted (I'll attach a image to show what I mean) and profile pictures are the same. The border that would normally appear around the fieldset tags has become broken too, although I'm not sure if that is related.

(On that note, some people can actually see the images that appear corrupt to me etc)

After doing a lil bit of research, I've come to realise that it is some kind of database problem. I'm using vB 3.0.07 with My SQL 4.1.13 on the database.

Any ideas what may have caused this? I kinda have a bad feeling that this might be my fault. A few days ago I had to restore the database using a back up after a hack attempt went wrong; Could that have upset it? It was around that that these image problems started appearing, so if that was the trigger, is it possible to fix it?

Thanks very much in advance for helping me
    Attached Files
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Unfortunately there is no way to fix the corrputed images.

There is a corruption problem with shell backups for vB 3.0.x made with the mysqldump from MySQL 4.1.x. To fix this problem, run these queries on the db prior to making the backup:

ALTER TABLE attachment CHANGE filedata filedata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL, CHANGE thumbnail thumbnail MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE customavatar CHANGE avatardata avatardata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

ALTER TABLE customprofilepic CHANGE profilepicdata profilepicdata MEDIUMBLOB NOT NULL;

We found that a character set issue in MySQL 4.1.x is at fault. Converting these fields to mediumblob fixes the problem.

This is not an issue with vB 3.5.0 because these fields are already set this way.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• camoman
      • Jun 2004

I am having this same problem on my site.. problem is I have moved servers when I did the backup and now I have too much info on the board to just restore the databse .. so I tried to run the scpript on a backed up database and restore just those 3 tables and I am still seeing the same problem.. this is only affecting avatars , all the attched images look fine ..Anything else I can do?!?!

Thanks!

-Curtis

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Unfortunately that won't work. The only way to fix this is to run those queries then make a new backup.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• camoman
          • Jun 2004

so it has to be a complete backup or are there other tables I could take?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

A complete backup.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• camoman
              • Jun 2004

ok well I can;t really do that now .. so is there a way to easly remove these corrupt images as some are still ok .. I could then have those people reupload .

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...