Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • free thinker
    • May 2005

Google...going shady ?

I found this article on another website.

Very interesting. Google modifying their organic results?

Definitely worth the read...

ft
  • Mr_Butter
    • Apr 2005

Excellent read.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
      • Jun 2002

While the article does have a few merit points, it fails to give google credit for giving a degree of seperation.

While it doesn't list it's a paid sponsorship (and it possibly is), at least there's some indication that it isn't completely integrated.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Techguy1
        • Jul 2002
        • 3.7.x

Hmm I don't know, Josh. It's very well integrated, despite its separation.
        HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

Do you have a better suggestion on how they could accomplish the desired effects and yet pleasing to the eye?
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Techguy1
            • Jul 2002
            • 3.7.x

If you want a simple answer, no. I simply do not know enough about their operations to give an informed opinion.

I think that eventually in every business there comes a time when you have to make a choice between integrity and profitability. I've been there myself, and usually the responsibility before shareholders prevails: it is, after all, a for-profit corporation and not a charity: they have to make profit (and more rather than less).

Of course, there are other, albeit more difficult ways, of attaining revenue, like integrating other chargeable services, asking for money for certain customizations and features, but bottom line is: whatever makes most profit with least distraction and annoyance will prevail.

I am sure Google spent lots of time deciding whether or not to go against one of their "core values" - and only time will show how people are going to react, but they've got to do what they've got to do. I don't blame them, I am just saying at the end the customers will be the deciding factor.
            HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

• ManagerJosh
              • Jun 2002

Unless someone has an alternative suggestion to how Google can place ads without falling into Deja Vu with Yahoo, I think basically we should keep our mouths shut.

Comment

• free thinker
                • May 2005

I think whoever develops a hack that we can all download onto our PC's to make Google Results #6 - #8 (on page 1) disappear will be a VERY RICH PERSON !!!

I am not willing to sacrifice relevance to please their freakin' shareholders in my searches. I use google now because, for me, they are the most relevant. I never look at ads. I hate ads. If I have to look at three of them on the first page of every search, I will probably go elsewhere...

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                  • Jun 2002

Actually I do quickly look at the ads. Sometimes it has the relevancy I need to find what I need.

Comment

• Mr_Butter
                    • Apr 2005

At the heart of the Orkney Islands, an archipelago

Comment

• Cole2026
                      • Apr 2004
                      • 3.6.x

Google needs to make money, they are not located in Candyland, they are here to make money, just like every other profit company out there.

Now, if you look at the MSN search results page, and the google search results page, MSN has alot more ads on the page.

I get sort of sick of this "OMG Google is trying to make money, they suck now." type stuff.

BTW, MSN search IMO has very irrelevent search results, google gives me what I want right at the top most of the time, MSN hardly ever does.

Comment

• MGM
                        • Aug 2002
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by bfoot045
                        Google needs to make money, they are not located in Candyland, they are here to make money, just like every other profit company out there.

Now, if you look at the MSN search results page, and the google search results page, MSN has alot more ads on the page.

I get sort of sick of this "OMG Google is trying to make money, they suck now." type stuff.

BTW, MSN search IMO has very irrelevent search results, google gives me what I want right at the top most of the time, MSN hardly ever does.
                        Some would argue with you (I know Wayne would). While I do agree, I also find that some of Google's results are just other search engines taking what you put in and showing you THEIR results. Very annoying.

MGM out

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...