What is the difference between Vbulletin and Mybboard?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sanjayadhakal
    • Aug 2005

What is the difference between Vbulletin and Mybboard?

Dear Friends,

I want to setup one forum. So i want best. Keep Money matter aside and talk freely here and help me for this . I know Mybb is free and Vbulletin costs $150 per yr.

So please tell me the difference of these two software, tell me as much as you can, any difference....Pls do it fast

Thanks in advance...

P.S = I also want to hear from the staffs as well..... Please find as much difference as possible so that i will be convinced to use a particular one...

And pls explain it here , don't direct me to otherways
  • Hellspire
    • Jun 2005

Not to be rude or anything (though what I am about to say may indeed be so)...

Please go to http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php and then go to the dev site of the board you use, and compare features... just by reading 5 lines you will notice huge differences.

I do not believe staff need to tell you what is already right there (though the volume of this sort of question never ceases to amaze)

Comment

• sanjayadhakal
      • Aug 2005

I had seen the features.php for both of the vbulletion and Mybb... the mybb hasn't write so many features. But one that it has write is similar to vbulletin. Actually i hadn't used both of the softwares. I had only used PhpBB which i think is old fashioned right now. So i want the Real comparision .

Comment

• Arsenik
        • Nov 2001

Hi sanjayadhakal, just wanted to mention that vb cost:

1) $85 per year for a leased license (If you dont renew you must stop using vb)

OR

2) $160 for an owned license (You can use vb for ever - includes the first year of download access)

For an owned license, after the first year you can renew (optional) the download access ($30 for a year) to be able to download the lastest vb files. You can decide to renew your download access at any time ($30 for a year) or continue to use the files you last downloaded before your download access expired since you have an owned license. (can use vb for ever)

Comment

• Creepshow
          • May 2005
          • 3.5.x

Heres the difference:

MyBBoard - sucks
          vBulletin - rules
          "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

• sanjayadhakal
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Arsenik
            Hi sanjayadhakal, just wanted to mention that vb cost:

1) $85 per year for a leased license (If you dont renew you must stop using vb)

OR

2) $160 for an owned license (You can use vb for ever - includes the first year of download access)

For an owned license, after the first year you can renew (optional) the download access ($30 for a year) to be able to download the lastest vb files. You can decide to renew your download access at any time ($30 for a year) or continue to use the files you last downloaded before your download access expired since you have an owned license. (can use vb for ever)
            So i can use vbulletin for forever by $160 if i don't want its update everyyear ?

Comment

• WhSox21
              • May 2004

I installed MyBB a little while ago and not only did it attempt to recreate vBulletin but the code was rather sloppy. I found many SQL injection bugs where if your server does not have automatic quote escaping turned on then basically I could have deleted your whole database. In the begining I believe I even read that MyBB was using some of vBulletin's code. There's just too many things that vBulletin has that MyBB doesn't.

As for the licensing issue... Yes, you pay $160 for an owned license and you get 1 year access to the member's area. Once that year is over you can continue to run the software but you no longer get updates until you decide to renew your license at a $30 fee / extra year.
              PHP Tutorials - Mozilla Firefox :rolleyes:

Comment

• albn
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.6.x

I'll tell you because my friend is migrating from MyBB to VBulletin. I'll tell you why: MyBB's code is a HUGE mess under the hood. It is full of SQL injections, xss and has been in beta forever and a day.

As for the feature set, there is simply no comparison. It's like comparing a Yugo to a Ferrari.

Comment

• sanjayadhakal
                  • Aug 2005

What if i owe one license and does not update for 3 yrs and wants to update after that.... will it be only $ 30, for that 4th year. OR, it will be like 3 yrs x $ 30 + $ 30 = $ 120

please clear me !

Comment

• albn
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 3.6.x

Yeah, it is $30 for updates, but if you get an owned license, it is not manditory to do it. The only thing is, if you keep up with the updates and patches. One thing a bout any software is to keep your stuff patched.

Comment

• sanjayadhakal
                      • Aug 2005

I didn't get u exactly clearify urself. If i owe one license then i may update it every year but this would be expensive. So after i get a license i am thinking not to update for 2/3 yr and then only update. At that would i have to buy for the unbought years also or i can pay for the fresh year only i mean only $ 30 ??
                      and what do u mean by patches.....is it something like update cracks ?? --> free , if i get patches for update ....No need to spend extra money /yr.

Comment

• albn
                        • Aug 2005
                        • 3.6.x

It is not necessary to pay $30 every year if you do not want to, but entitles you to upgrades, patches and other files.

As for patches, no, I am not talking about cracks because that is illegal. I am talking about patches and upgrades to keep your forums up to date.

Comment

• TCM
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by albn
                          It is not necessary to pay $30 every year if you do not want to, but entitles you to upgrades, patches and other files.

As for patches, no, I am not talking about cracks because that is illegal. I am talking about patches and upgrades to keep your forums up to date.
                          Security patches you get regardless, it's upgrades you need to pay for.

Comment

• sanjayadhakal
                            • Aug 2005

Oh i got it...yeah it is necessary to upto date the forum for that i need to buy those patches... ? or they come with upgrades (which also i need to buy ) ?

Comment

• albn
                              • Aug 2005
                              • 3.6.x

When you buy it leased or owned, you have access to upgrades and files for one year. The only difference with the leased is you need to update the license else you need to delete it. I think the owned license is well worth it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...