• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pasqualis
    • Apr 2004
    • 3.6.x

Import UBB.threads 6.4.2 > VB3.5

Hi all,

I finally made up my mind and decided to go for vBulletin! So last night I downloaded the 3.5RC2 version and now I'm thinking about what would be the best approach to import my old board.

1. Since 3.5RC2 isn't supported yet, I'm sure there is also no importer available for my ubb.t 6.4.2 version. Is there?
    So what's a wise thing to do now? Upgrade my ubb board to the latest version (6.5) and use the available importer for vb3.0 and later upgrade to 3.5?

2. Today I've been busy whole day checking out all new features of VB and setting up the configpanel. Where are these settings saved so I can use them later in case I need to start with an older VB version? Can I import those settings later?

3. I've read this thread about internal forum links and this is something that kinda worries me. We have a lot of links in our forum, pointing to other internal posts and we would not like to loose that. How can we solve this?

4. Besides internal links, we've also many uploaded images. These images (attachments) are stored in a folder like this http://www.mydomain/ubbforum/uploads/attmt526.jpg. and displayed at the end of the post. Will I be able to keep this?

Thanks so far for you help.
    As you can see, I'm no IT/SQL whizz, so all help is extremely appreciated!!! Cheers guys!
    Last edited by Pasqualis; Sat 6 Aug '05, 6:32am.
  • void
    • Dec 2001
    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Pasqualis
    Hi all,
    3. I've read this thread about internal forum links and this is something that kinda worries me. We have a lot of links in our forum, pointing to other internal posts and we would not like to loose that. How can we solve this?
    I've got the same worries as I stated in this thread:
    Hi vbulletin, Help me escape to vbulletin 3.5 (now that you get real posttracking) I need your import script to be able convert post-to-post links. That is, links pointing from one post in the forum to another post in the forum. As I understand this, it would have to be a 2 pass job. On the 1. pass you'll need to store

After the read tracking system has been fixed for vb3.5 its the only major issue that keeps me from becoming a regular user. A generic (regex?) search'n'replace toool for posts, with different postrecord field placesholders ex:{importposttid}, would suffice.There are enough sales in this to pay for Jerry to implement this tenfold

Btw, this is a worry that the infopoop guys are taking serious in their new joint (classic+threads) forum system.
    Last edited by void; Sat 6 Aug '05, 8:06am.

Comment

• Jerry
      • Dec 2002
      • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Pasqualis
      1. Since 3.5RC2 isn't supported yet, I'm sure there is also no importer available for my ubb.t 6.4.2 version. Is there?
      So what's a wise thing to do now? Upgrade my ubb board to the latest version (6.5) and use the available importer for vb3.0 and later upgrade to 3.5?
      ImpEx only supports the latest stable release, as soon as 3.5 is gold then it will support that.

Internal link parsing (ILP), at the moment you can't unless you fix it yourself, I have worked on a system for doing ILP though its only in alpha at the moment and is on hold, as work is focused on 3.5 and updating impex to that.

4. Besides internal links, we've also many uploaded images. These images (attachments) are stored in a folder like this http://www.mydomain/ubbforum/uploads/attmt526.jpg. and displayed at the end of the post. Will I be able to keep this?
      Attachments are imported.
      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• Jerry
        • Dec 2002
        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by void
        A generic (regex?) search'n'replace toool for posts, with different postrecord field placesholders ex:{importposttid}, would suffice.There are enough sales in this to pay for Jerry to implement this tenfold
        It's not quite that easy, but yes that is the basics of it, and then the URL and internal parsing for 71 importer systems !

Btw, this is a worry that the infopoop guys are taking serious in their new joint (classic+threads) forum system.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean ?
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• void
          • Dec 2001
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jerry
          It's not quite that easy, but yes that is the basics of it, and then the URL and internal parsing for 71 importer systems !
          By making it an admin regex tool (lets call it ART ) that can work with placeholders instead of only something thats attached to impex, it should become easier. imho.

The task pr. system would be "reduced" to finding out what info to preserve from each import. Info that via placeholders could be utilized in ART.

The info for 71 system will by an ongoing task. Granted this will take time. But ART could be delivered immediately, and some of your support job would be reduced to supplying clever regex strings. The "massage" of post (replacement of icons, internal links, links to hosted pictures, modification of old forum specific/design html code, etc) after import could all be performed by ART.

Originally posted by Jerry
          Not sure what you mean ?
          Only that they have said they need to have this in place when they launch to cater for exiting users. But I've got to see this before I..

The argument is pretty valid though. Right now it seems like the UBBT users are fleeing left and right (to phpbb, fusionbb, etc.) . Easy pickings if you ask me. That is, if you can convert their data. Get'em while you can.
          Last edited by void; Sat 6 Aug '05, 1:37pm.

Comment

• Jerry
            • Dec 2002
            • 1.1.x

Well the script that does the replacement will be standalone, though probably distributed with ImpEx, as anyone who has imported already and has kept the import id's can run it retrospectively.

As for easy pickings, always happy to offer an alternative
            I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...