X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mac Write
    • Oct 2001
    • 4.2.x

ProBoards to vBulletin?

I have already asked in the Importers forum. I might be taking over a PorBoard of over 6,000+ posts and a great community, but want to move it to vbulletin since I don't trust free sites, and want to integrate it into a site. Anyone done it have any ideas?

Thanks
  • Shining Arcanine
    • Feb 2003

You might be able to reverse engineer the database and do it manually but that would be a lot of work. Try contacting Jerry to see if he has an importer for you.

Comment

• Radon3k
      • Nov 2001

Isn't ProBoards a remotely hosted system? If so, I'm not sure that you can import anything without access to the database. I could be wrong, though.

Comment

• Chris M
        • Apr 2002
        • 3.6.x

As far as I am aware there is no way to access the database on Proboards, meaning that while post data can be manually copied accross and with alot of effort inserted into vB format and assigned to a poster, its unlikely to be a simple process...

Satan

Comment

• Mac Write
          • Oct 2001
          • 4.2.x

EzBoard is the same thing and has an import to vBulletin.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Mac Write
            EzBoard is the same thing and has an import to vBulletin.
            As Jerry posted in your other thread, they are not the same thing:

I need to import a ProBoards forum with over 5,000+ posts, is there an importer yet (last status I could find was Sept 2004 which was no importer). Thanks

Originally posted by Jerry
            From my understanding ProBoards is a hosted solution with no options of back up or download of the source data, this would mean that a spider would need to be written.
            Have you since found a way to download the ProBoard data just as the EZBoard owners can?
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Quillz
              • Nov 2004
              • 5.0.X

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              As Jerry posted in your other thread, they are not the same thing:

I need to import a ProBoards forum with over 5,000+ posts, is there an importer yet (last status I could find was Sept 2004 which was no importer). Thanks

Have you since found a way to download the ProBoard data just as the EZBoard owners can?
              I doubt it's possible, since ProBoards is PERL and flat-file based, and it's highly unlikely Patrick Clinger would give anyone database access.
              Forums

Comment

• someuser190826
                • Oct 2002
                • 4.0.x

Just a thought:
                Instead of all these import scripts, an intuitive spider that would go out crawl these boards and insert the data as is into a vB database would surely be very cool.

It would be initiated on request by the vBulletin staff for help in transfers, fees can be charged (a mathematical formula can be made to make a price estimate based on the size of the board, time it will need, and resources on this end that will be required).

Patent pending

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

How would you get the user's email addresses and passwords?
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• someuser190826
                    • Oct 2002
                    • 4.0.x

Steve, you should know that better than anyone: It will somehow, through any administration edit formfields and will be able to read form fields, and if this is not available it will go to plan B.

Plan B - If the spider fails to get all information, it calls on another spider - The penetrator. The Penetrator will then attempt to force its way into the database that is hosted elsewhere legally or illegally is not a question here cause it gets it done. If that fails, it will call Kier & The Gang[S-type].

Kier & The Gang[S-type] - Will be numerous software forms of Kier and the gang. It will attempt to mimic many millions of Kier and the gang, then it will try to again force itself back in, but this time with the smarts of actual humans.

[S-type] - Just a classification of how intelligent it is. S has many divisions. S-Type is generally applied to all classifications. When S-Type all levels of Kier & The Gan is called [e.g. SM1 (Special Model 1) SE (Special Edition) PLB (Persistent lil' b*tch)]
                    Last edited by someuser190826; Tue 26 Jul '05, 10:49pm.

Comment

• dreamer81
                      • May 2005
                      • 3.7.x

for the password that wont be nessecary. It will simply create new passwords for each user. The email would have to be visible on the board somehow, i dunno if it is, else the admin could make it visible for the spider purpose.

Then in the end of the "Import", it will mass mail all the users with their username and password....
                      My site
                      www.coolservice.dk

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...