• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasonWilliams
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.6.x

Subscriptions/Post new threads

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a for sale/wanted section, but want it to be a paid system, weekly.

I've tried to set it up so regular members aren't able to make new threads, but still be able to post on existing threads, but got way too confused. I also tried to make it so you could make new threads once you subscribed, but it didn't seem to work correctly.

How do I go about this? It does seem tricky to me, just not sure how to go about it!

Thanks!

Jason

[edit]Damn, put this in the wrong place, thought it was VB3.0 - if poss could this be moved? It might also apply to 3.5 - i'm not sure, I'm using 3.0.7 - sorry!![/edit]
    Last edited by JasonWilliams; Thu 23 Jun '05, 11:46am.
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

Edit the permissions for the "Registered Users" group in the "Sales" forum. Make it so they can view the forum, its threads, and be able to reply to threads. But make it so they can't create new threads.

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Registered Users -> Edit Usergroup (in the menu)

Set the "Allow Users to have Member Groups" setting to "Yes". This will make it so a secondary group will be able to grant "Registered Users" the permission to create threads.

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Add New Usergroup

Set all of the permissions for the new group to "No". This group will be used as a secondary group so the excess "No" permissions don't matter. See this thread for a detailed explanation.

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

Edit the permissions in the "Sales" forum for the new group you just created. Give that group permission to post new threads in that forum.

Admin CP -> Subscriptions-> Add New Subscription

Set the length to 7 days. Under the "Usergroup Options", select "No Change" for the primary group, and check the box next to the new group you just created.

That should work.

Comment

• JasonWilliams
      • Jul 2004
      • 3.6.x

Thank you so much, will try that in a little while, it does sound harder than I thought it would be .... but not to worry, at least it's possible.

Jason

Comment

• JasonWilliams
        • Jul 2004
        • 3.6.x

Worked a treat - thank you so much, I would have never figured that one out

Comment

• JasonWilliams
          • Jul 2004
          • 3.6.x

I have a small problem back from this, I've had this on my forum now for a few months and have had no problems, but today a member used this to try and create a new thread, and it came back with no permission - I've checked, they are registered under the "selling" account, their subscription is valid, any suggestions as to what to check for?

The one thing I will mention is that since this, I've upgraded to 3.5 then 3.5.1 - does this have an influence on it? I have another subscription type that may also be affected ....

Thanks,

Jason
          Last edited by JasonWilliams; Tue 15 Nov '05, 11:56am.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

Go through the permission chestlist from this post. Something must be wrong.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...