X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jtorral
    • Mar 2002

RSS not working for me???

When I follow the documented procedure, I get the following message:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

and this:

-
    <rss version="0.91">
    -
    <channel>
    <title>AFO Automation - IS ToolFail</title>
    <link>http://afodm1.al.intel.com/vbportal/forums</link>
    -
    <description>
    This is a discussion forum powered by vBulletin. To find out about vBulletin, go to http://www.vbulletin.com/ .
    </description>
    -
    <item>
    <title>Test entry in toolfail</title>
    -
    <link>
    http://afodm1.al.intel.com/vbportal...16&goto=newpost
    </link>
    -
    <description>
    Forum: IS ToolFail
    Posted By: Unregistered
    Post Time: 03-30-2005 at 03:44 AM
    </description>
    </item>
    -
    <item>
    <title>DB maintenance plan failed</title>
    -
    <link>
    http://afodm1.al.intel.com/vbportal...15&goto=newpost
    </link>
    -
    <description>
    Forum: IS ToolFail
    Posted By: Jorge Torralba
    Post Time: 03-29-2005 at 01:31 AM
    </description>
    </item>
    </channel>
    </rss>

-----------------------------------------------------

What am I doing wrong?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

The most likely explanation is that your do not allow Guests to view your forums. The RSS feed will only show threads that guests can view.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• DragonWarden
      • Mar 2006
      • 3.5.x

Is there any way to have the RSS feed work even with forums that are locked from guests? My rationale is that I am setting up a site for my company's employees to post to, and obviously, I want to lock all access to the boards (both read and write) to only registered users. However, because I would also like them to be able to get notices of new posts without having to refresh the site a dozen times throughout the day, I would like to set up an RSS feed that they can have an instant messenger check. Maybe, if they see a subject line that they are interested in, they will click on it, which will bring up the page with the login (if they're not already logged in from a prior session), and then they can enter their username/pass to actually see the posting. Is there an easy way to do this?

Comment

• Colin F
        • May 2004

That'd require code modification, sorry.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• DragonWarden
          • Mar 2006
          • 3.5.x

Would it be such a bad feature to have anyway in the general VBulletin release?

Comment

• Colin F
            • May 2004

As far as I know, RSS doesn't allow any kind of authentication, thus it would be a security hole.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• DragonWarden
              • Mar 2006
              • 3.5.x

It wouldn't be authenticating from the RSS side. I'm capitalizing on the fact that, even if you try to access a particular message in the forums by the URL directly, unless you have logged in recently, it will prompt you for a login before it will allow you to view the message. Since the RSS headline only contains a link which tries to open up the page in a webbrowser, the forums should prompt you for a user/pass if the cookie from your last login is no longer valid, right? In fact, that was how I had assumed your RSS syndication would work in the first place, and had to do a bit of searching before I discovered Steve Machol's tidbit of information. I can understand your reasoning behind your current RSS scheme...but was wondering if it's a limitation that's not necessary.

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Only standard RSS does not provide extra data, RSS2 does provide a preview of the text and more infrmation.

Comment

• DragonWarden
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 3.5.x

Aah, thanks for pointing that out. I can see how some might have an issue with that.

I'm certainly not going to press the issue - I can comment out the conditional myself if I really want. But just as a last note, I would think that if someone *really* doesn't want guests to see even that one-liner desc in RSS2, they can just turn off the RSS syndication. I don't see the point of anyone turning it on in the first place if they really want to lock that down, while those who *do* want to turn it on are those already willing to take that slight leakage of information in return for the convenience to their users. But, I certainly can't predict the mindsets of all users, and no doubt there will be someone who has a different opinion from mine. Thanks for all of your prompt responses.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...