X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cocjh1
    • Sep 2004
    • 3.6.x

Forum only visable to users with small post count

I want to create a "Beginners" forum on my board, which would automatically disappear when users post count goes over a certain threshold.

I have a lot of new registrations who basically don't know how to use a forum and this would allow me to answer basic questions without disturbing the more literate users.

Any ideas?
    I've looked into using 'promotions' but these only allow me to move users from one usergroup to another. As new members are in the 'Registered' usergroup from the start I don't want to move them out of this.

Thanks
    Chris
  • Neocorteqz
    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by cocjh1
    I want to create a "Beginners" forum on my board, which would automatically disappear when users post count goes over a certain threshold.

I have a lot of new registrations who basically don't know how to use a forum and this would allow me to answer basic questions without disturbing the more literate users.

Any ideas?
    I've looked into using 'promotions' but these only allow me to move users from one usergroup to another. As new members are in the 'Registered' usergroup from the start I don't want to move them out of this.

Thanks
    Chris
    That would be the only way I know how to do it.

Comment

• cocjh1
      • Sep 2004
      • 3.6.x

So all 'new' registrations default to the 'Registered' usergroup.
      Only the 'Registered' usergroup can see my beginner’s forum.
      Then after a few posts they are promoted out of 'Registered' to say 'Can Use A Forum' usergroup.

No other way of achieving this?

It would be nice to keep the Registered usergroup for mature users and move new registrations out of 'Users Awaiting Email Confirmation' to say a beginner's usergroup. But this probably needs a hack which I don't want to do...

C:

Comment

• Dean C
        • Mar 2002
        • 3.5.x

You can do this without user promotions, but it requires a modification to the source code. You are best asking over at ww.vBulletin.org
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

• Jake Bunce
          • Dec 2000
          • 3.6.x

You can do this with a promotion that changes the user's primary usergroup. First create a new group that does not have access to the Beginners forum:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Add New Usergroup

This group will likely have the same permissions as the Registered Users group, so you can just create the new group based off of the Registered Users group.

Then edit the forum permissions for the new group so it does not have access to the Beginners forum. Make sure it has access to the other forums to which you want it to have access. This group will be used as a primary group, so it needs to have a base set of permissions:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

When editing the forum permissions for the new group, set the Can View Forum permission to No for the Beginners forum.

Then enable this setting so private forums are hidden:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Forum Listings Display Options -> Hide Private Forums

Now create a promotion:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Promotions -> Add New Promotion

Use these settings:
          Usergroup - Registered Users
          Reputation Comparison Type - Greater or Equal to
          Reputation Level - 0
          Days Registered - 0
          Posts - the # of posts after which you want the Beginners forum to disappear
          Promotion Strategy - Posts
          Promotion Type - Primary Usergroup
          Move User to Usergroup - the new group you just created

Now when users reach the specified post count, their primary group will be changed to the new usergroup which doesn't have access to the Beginners forum.

Comment

• cocjh1
            • Sep 2004
            • 3.6.x

Thanks Jake for your detailed instructions.
            Much appreciated.

C:

Comment