X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MacMorag
    • Oct 2001
    • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Error 1153 - Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet'

I've read the other threads, so know what's causing the problem.

I am moving the database from a ded server (serverA) to a shared server (serverB). I've asked the hosts of serverB to increase the max_allowed_packet size - their response "we don't make custom changes on shared servers". They have suggested that I break the dumpfile into smaller chunks.

My question:

Does this error occur because one record in the dumpfile is bigger than the max allowed? If this is the case, then surely this one record will still be too big - regardless of how many times the dumpfile is chopped?

Are the hosts correct, and I just don't have a clue?

My confusion: I already have another vB-driven site on the shared server - and have no problems with backup/restore. So I'm guessing that the problem occurs because the dedicated server is dumping bigger packet size. Correct?

So if I LOWER the max_allowed_packet size on the ded server, the shared server will be able to read the dumpfile? If so, how low can I set it?

Thanks.
  • minx
    • Nov 2003
    • 3.8.x

same problem here, would like to know what to do.

-M

Comment

• MacMorag
      • Oct 2001
      • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Minx,

If you are running your own server, then you need to increase the max_allowed_packet size (can't remember the file you need to edit off the top of my head, but a search on these forums for "max_allowed_packet" will point it out).

If you are on a shared server you will have to contact your hosts and ask if they'll up the max_allowed_packet size on their server (but I wouldn't hold your breath). Mine replied with "we don't do custom changes to shared servers" - fair enough.

Unfortunately, I was trying to restore to a shared server so I was a bit stuck.

I got round the problem by going through the dumpfile and deleting the offending record. It turns out that the record was vital to the operation of vBulletin. I couldn't even access the AdminCP with it missing - but after reading about that specific problem elsewhere on this forum I was able to sort the problem.

So my advice, go through the dumpfile and delete the offending record, then try and restore from the edited file. Either that or try and convince your host to increase the max_allowed_packet size on the server.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...