Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CityNet
    • Feb 2001

Well, as badly as I'm trying to make avatars work, it doesn't seem to want to.

I enter the URL of a jpg file I want to use (proper size and all) and turn AVs on, and I'm told it's not a proper gif or jpg file.. I've tried making a gif of the image and I get the same message. This image works in other pages and I've loaded it up thousands of times using it as my avatar on other message boards.

What gives?
  • jojo85
    • Jan 2001

The avatar don't want to be display in admin or in the page of the forums??

Comment

• CityNet
      • Feb 2001

Avatars are turned on in the CP, I'm using the profile screen to try and point to a link on another server where the image is.

Comment

• jojo85
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by CityNet
        and point to a link on another server where the image is.
        upload in your images directory!

Comment

• Susan
          • May 2000

We had the same problem and WLuke fixed it for us. Hopefully, he'll be by here soon and be able to tell you what it was he did to our server that made it work. (Our server is a nightmare because of Plesk. <sigh>) You may want to check that PHP's safe mode is off in the mean time, 'cause that has some people going nuts with the upload problems and specifically image files.

Comment

• CityNet
            • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Susan
            (Our server is a nightmare because of Plesk. <sigh>)
            Oh, my. You too? :P

Comment

• jojo85
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by CityNet

Oh, my. You too? :P
              Lol

Comment

• CityNet
                • Feb 2001

Originally posted by jojo85

upload in your images directory!
                Well, see, that's the thing. Some of these people I've seen on other boards, and they use HUGE animated gifs for avatars that I don't like at all. I don't mind if they use them, but I sure don't want everybody's avatar uploaded onto my server!

So that's why I'm trying the URL To Other Server method instead.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

PLESK will put a PHP directive of open_basedir into your httpsd.conf file.

You will need to remove that directive for every domain on your server before file uploading will work through PHP

Just edit it out of the httpsd.conf file in:
                  /usr/local/plesk/apache/conf

and restart apache
                  /usr/local/plesk/apache/bin/httpsdctl restart

if you don't have PLESK on your machine..... PLEASE never even think about installing it.

On a side note, the Microsoft Spellchecker in Outlook insists on changing Plesk to pesky, wonder if Bill knows something we don't.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Susan
                    • May 2000

Originally posted by wluke
                    On a side note, the Microsoft Spellchecker in Outlook insists on changing Plesk to pesky, wonder if Bill knows something we don't.
                    ROFLMAO Amen, Wayne!

Comment

• Kathy
                      • May 2000
                      • 3.8.x

HEHEHE, Oh MY!

I am laughing here at the professional manner which Wayne has described the antics of my server. He has been a perfect gentleman with me pestering him for *help* while having to deal with PLESK on top of it.

Thank you Wayne....you've been more than kind. (ANd hats off to Chris Schreiber for his constant "Oh no problem" he gives me when I ask him for one more thing... ) I appreciate it more than I can tell you.
                      Fan Club member for VBulletin Dev and Support Team ;)

Hysterectomy - GirlsGetGoing.com - Fabulous Fifty

I'm frequently asked about the skin designer for my forums. ForumSkin.com

Comment

• CityNet
                        • Feb 2001

Thank you for replying, Wayne.

You will need to remove that directive for every domain on your server before file uploading will work through PHP

Well, see. That's the issue. I don't /want/ files, any files, being uploaded by board users to the server. I fear the thought of my given space being sucked away by files that users could put elsewhere! :-/

That's why I'd like to get avatars to be recognized when pointing to another server, but like I said, I just see "This is not a valid gif or jpg file"

I'm also tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to disable attatchments completely... Ah well.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Even if it is on another server to start with vBulletin will attempt to suck it into its database which requires uploading. You can control the size of avatars and disable file attachments in the control panel.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• CityNet
                            • Feb 2001

You can control the size of avatars and disable file attachments in the control panel

Re: File attachments
                            Where? All I see is an option to limit attatchment size, not an option to turn them off. Using Beta 3.

Comment

• CityNet
                              • Feb 2001

An update

UPDATE: I talked to my host about this. They tell me I don't have vBulletin configured correctly and that this is already taken care of. They do have plenty of clients with vBulletins, including one of their own. At least one is version 2.

Anybody know what I could have done wrong?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...