This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kinglifer

The honest truth about vBulletin

Why do people here on vBulletin tell you to go to vbulletin.org for hacks? This is really getting on my nerves really.

I made a comment about this on the v3 arcade page. I think vbulletin should be a bit more professional about things. It’s the only software company I have ever heard of in my life that will not configure software to your needs. Informs you to go to somewhere else (which they will not endorse) and that location will not help you UNLESS you have a valid license from the originator that told you to go there in the first place. It all means this. You don’t want the work but you want us to pay. And the "goodies" are hacks.

I have to ask. How old is the oldest employee at vbulletin?

Original statements can be found here:

http://www.v3arcade.com/play/showpost.php?p=14340&postcount=53

Keeps this thread running vb I really want to hear people's response after they read ALL I said in these two threads.
  • conqsoft
    • Jul 2003
    • 3.6.x

Have you ever tried to support software that users have modified? It's a nightmare. They support the product they sell, AS IT'S SOLD. When Joe User starts dipping his hands into it, there's no end to the problems that can come up, and that's not their responsibility. When you add lots of aftermarket items to your car's engine, it voids the factory warranty. Same idea.

If you want to modify your copy of vBulletin, they offer another site (vbulletin.org) to help you with that. And yes, of course, that site requires that you are a legal owner. Why would they want to provide this feature to thieves?

Here's a better question. How old are YOU?
    vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• TheMusicMan
      • Oct 2002
      • 3.7.x

Hmmmm.... I find your reply a tad arrogant, especially for a 1st post here on vB.com.

vB.org is the official hacks/code modification support site. So tell me, do you know of any software vendor who customises and delivers their code for free... and why should you not show that you do indeed hold a VALID vB license before you get support. Why would someone want support if they don't have a VALID vB license...?

And wtf does your question... "How old is the oldest employee at vbulletin?" have to do with anything... sheesh... if you don't like vB go here
      John

Comment

• _| () R | Z
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by kinglifer
        I have to ask. How old is the oldest employee at vbulletin?
        Originally Posted by Zachery
        John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
        We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

• kinglifer

Originally posted by conqsoft
          Have you ever tried to support software that users have modified? It's a nightmare. They support the product they sell, AS IT'S SOLD. When Joe User starts dipping his hands into it, there's no end to the problems that can come up, and that's not their responsibility. When you add lots of aftermarket items to your car's engine, it voids the factory warranty. Same idea.

If you want to modify your copy of vBulletin, they offer another site (vbulletin.org) to help you with that. And yes, of course, that site requires that you are a legal owner. Why would they want to provide this feature to thieves?

Here's a better question. How old are YOU?
          (Sigh) Nerds do flock in packs.

First off... If I buy cars they DO NOT tell me go to ummm Joe's body shop and modify it there. (As in. I need turbos for this Mustang; can you do this for me?)

AND Joe's Body shop does not ask me to see my Car's Warranty to modify it. LOL no even better... "Um sir can I see that your the owner of this car before I modify your engine?"

You’re just justifying my point and thank you. Exactly... WHY is vB telling people to go to a hack site? And I work for an Internet company. The biggest actually. And we DO modify work for specific companies. Heck we will even work with stuff we never even made to make it seamless with our software. Isn’t hard for a real programmer. (Real means your real. Not self proclaimed "programmer") I think the instant you consider yourself a programmer is the exact time in my eyes your self proclaimed. (Like artists) And well all know you can’t tell an artist how to draw.

LOL Woooah... right over your head.

I only was toying with your comment. People in forums read it like it’s a bible, word for word. Missing the whole point. To be honest this and cars are nothing in the same.

A car works when you buy it. If there is something that lacks in function the car will be replaced. However you don’t get a new car when it’s updated.

vB on the other hand is almost like Linux but nothing like it. It’s like a public thing that you have to pay for that has support but not for the stuff they don’t support that they tell you to add if you need it.

Don’t scratch too hard I hear it promotes hair loss.

Remember. The Source tells you to go else where. And the elsewhere destination verifies who you are. So they are… one in the same.

Feel me? As for my age you can get it off Lavalife.com oh but you have to be a member.

Comment

• Matthew Gordon
            • May 2002
            • 1.1.x

First off... If I buy cars they DO NOT tell me go to ummm Joe's body shop and modify it there. (As in. I need turbos for this Mustang; can you do this for me?)

AND Joe's Body shop does not ask me to see my Car's Warranty to modify it. LOL no even better... "Um sir can I see that your the owner of this car before I modify your engine?"

You’re just justifying my point and thank you. Exactly... WHY is vB telling people to go to a hack site? And I work for an Internet company. The biggest actually. And we DO modify work for specific companies. Heck we will even work with stuff we never even made to make it seamless with our software. Isn’t hard for a real programmer. (Real means your real. Not self proclaimed "programmer") I think the instant you consider yourself a programmer is the exact time in my eyes your self proclaimed. (Like artists) And well all know you can’t tell an artist how to draw.

LOL Woooah... right over your head.

I only was toying with your comment. People in forums read it like it’s a bible, word for word. Missing the whole point. To be honest this and cars are nothing in the same.

A car works when you buy it. If there is something that lacks in function the car will be replaced. However you don’t get a new car when it’s updated.

vB on the other hand is almost like Linux but nothing like it. It’s like a public thing that you have to pay for that has support but not for the stuff they don’t support that they tell you to add if you need it.

Don’t scratch too hard I hear it promotes hair loss.

Remember. The Source tells you to go else where. And the elsewhere destination verifies who you are. So they are… one in the same.

Feel me? As for my age you can get it off Lavalife.com oh but you have to be a member.
            I'm sure if Joe's body shop is the official "Modify your <insert companies> car here." shop then they will send you there.

And no, they probably won't ask if you are the owner. That is because there is a huge difference between the Internet and "Real Life". And that is, making copies of something can be done with 2 buttons.

vB.org is the official resource site of vBulletin. It is mostly because Jelsoft cannot support code modifications. And how could they? They aren't the ones coding these hacks, they aren't responsible for how bad it may mess up your board.

Comment

• Mephisteus
              • Aug 2002
              • 3.7.x

They suggest you to got vbulletin.org, since that is the biggest hack database of vBulletin. You could go to another forum if you want.
              AND Joe's Body shop does not ask me to see my Car's Warranty to modify it. LOL no even better... "Um sir can I see that your the owner of this car before I modify your engine?"[/color]
              I don't know much about this stuff (never been there) but I see no reason to make it easy for people that use illegal versions (eg. stolen cars) to get hacks for it (or car mods). In this matter, Joe's Body shop would be doing pretty stupid since for all they know they are upgrading a stolen car (just a weak explanation, big difference between software and a car)

It is an opensource product, vB is telling people to go to a hack site since if it would be integrated here it would almost look like vBulletin is offering support for it aswell, while this isn't the case, if it would be vB would cost quite a bundle more in order to pay for all the extra staff

And that is why you use it as an argument then

And from here on I lost what you are meaning with all of the rest

AND I dont know why I even am bothering with this, but for some reason I am doubting you are a license holder.
              A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern"

Comment

• kinglifer

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
                Hmmmm.... I find your reply a tad arrogant, especially for a 1st post here on vB.com.

vB.org is the official hacks/code modification support site. So tell me, do you know of any software vendor who customises and delivers their code for free... and why should you not show that you do indeed hold a VALID vB license before you get support. Why would someone want support if they don't have a VALID vB license...?

And wtf does your question... "How old is the oldest employee at vbulletin?" have to do with anything... sheesh... if you don't like vB go here
                This link... will they be offering software once the site is updated? That resembles anything remotely to what we are talking about? If I am asking too may questions you can go here for help.

The amount of posts does not validate the statement or all this dribble you have posted in the past would actually mean something now.

As for your real qestions... I can not think of anyone at the moment who does custom work for free. But what that has to do with vB??? I never said to do it for free and I KNOW they are not doing it for free... (sigh)

Hell get this (as I nudge the virtual guy next to me) most hacks are from 3rd parties on that site. Hummm I wonder if I goto http://www.wincustomize.com/ do I have to show my Microsoft Windows S/N? Yeah.

How about this buddy (in a Bogart voice) Give each and every coder that puts up hacks a finder fee. Since all the clients you have goto them to keep your software (talking to you as a collective of vB). Sheezz they HAVE to pay to get my hack right? Where is my cut?

LOL Im the WRONG person to debate a debate.
                Your voting Bush I assume?

Comment

• Mephisteus
                  • Aug 2002
                  • 3.7.x

Your american I assume? Assuming that he is (apparently everyone is). Same lame statement that should be forgotten about.

I don't even see the big deal here (unless your 'illegal') it requires that you register! Oooh now thats a pain for software you just paid $160 or $85 for.

And yes you dont have to show your windows key to 'modify' stuff on windows, mainly because you are using stuff that doesn't modify any of the SOURCE! You can't modify windows SOURCE! While hacks modify vBulletin SOURCE!

Basically, if you dont like it, get lost and go find some other bulletin board.

To prevent myself getting in further then I want, this is my last post in this thread.
                  A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern"

Comment

• chrispadfield
                    • Aug 2000

Hi,

vBulletin.org is the offical modification/hacking site for vBulletin. The site is part of vBulletin, we have just choosen to seperate the hacking section from the main product site. The vBulletin community and it makes it a lot easier to manage for the community to have its own site and community.

The vBulletin.com site is for selling and supporting the "out of the box" version of vBulletin. That is the product that is sold, and that is what we support here. It would be impossible to support the hundreds if not thousands of hacks that are available.

vBulletin is already heavily configurable, and those configurations are supported here. If however you need something in the software that is not currently a feature, you are free to submit a feature request in the relevant forum or try and find a generous person who has made the modification and submitted it at vBulletin.org.

I hope that answers your questions, please let us know if you have any more.
                    Christopher Padfield
                    Web Based Helpdesk
                    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

• kinglifer

Didn’t I just say something about word for word DarkSSJ3? (I have my asbestos suit on for the flames) (That should get some responses)

Honestly NO I don’t have a license. Darn Skippy I don’t. As I posted in a different forum. This software has no account delete (or member removal system). I for example wanted to leave this site and remove my information I wouldn’t be able to. I would have to ask for it to be done. And my private information is up to the discretion of the admin to remove or not.

That alone is enough not to buy this thing... I do code for the poor souls that have paid for it and need help.

(The car stuff didn’t make sense so I didn’t go into it)

The other stuff you said is good points. But, if I have something configured for me by vB, why would the next guy who posts to this response assume that is how vB is made? That makes no sense. IBM does it all the time. You can configure things to what your customer wants. COME ON. Am I taking crazy pills here (ready... hit the reply button now! you got ammunition! [In an AOL kinda voice])

And look you say its open source. Sooooo you know what that means right since you said it right?

Lastly yes you can go to another database hack site. BUT they suggest you to go to vB.org. THEY suggest. Imagine Nissan (oh sh*t here he goes with the car stuff again) asked you to go to NISMO but …. Ah you know the rest…

Comment

• kinglifer

Nope I’m not American, why would I live somewhere and be blinded? NEXT Topic.
                        Again the bible thing... word for word. Jump off a bridge.
                        Are we going to argue that you can not jump off a bridge but really fall off one?
                        LOURD!
                        The windows thing was to compare software to hacks and yes they do mod the windows code. Sheez if I change autoexec.bat what you think I’m changing? My underwear?

The point isn’t the price. Who was talking prices? You? Wait let me scroll back.

Nope. Not even you... did you check that URL I sent you?

And NO... If I don’t like it. I want it changed. Yeah I said it. I won’t go no where... You must be Chinese then... Cuz where I’m from... you can take it and say it isn’t ice cream.

(The party posting this thread in no way has any racial disagreements with Chinese or any Asian community for that matter. All text posted in this thread is for entertainment purposes only and are not intended to offend in any way shape or form)
                        Last edited by Guest; Wed 20 Oct '04, 4:33am. Reason: Directed to: DarkSSJ3 (Post #9)

Comment

• Erwin
                          • Jan 2002

As an Admin of vBulletin.org, let me make one thing clear - Jelsoft, the company that created and releases vBulletin, also owns vBulletin.org - vBulletin.org is an OFFICIAL Jelsoft site. They tell you to go there to get hacks because they want all modifications for their software to be located on a separate site, basically so that the modifcations are easier to manage.

Support on vBulletin.com and vBulletin.org, both Jelsoft sites, are limited to licensed users. If the licensed owner of the vBulletin you are managing gives you access, then you get access to support too.

And I'm 31 years old. How old would you be?

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

I think for the most part this thread has outlived its usefullness and leaving it open will only result in negitive actions.

Thank you for your feedback, we provide vBulletin.org for the paying members so they have a site they can go to and get help with hacking from a community of other like minded people

We almost always try our best to troubleshoot the problem (as most people don't tell us they have hacks) and we see if it could be an issue, however if somthing is going wrong with their board and they have hacks, we are not responsible for the changes they make to the code, we ask them to either upload fresh files and see if the issue still exsists, or go to vBulletin.org to get support.

The system has worked fine for almost 4 years now and as long as I have been here vBulletin.com/org's communitys have been very helpfull even with hacks

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by DarkSSJ3
                              It is an opensource product
                              A clarification on this point... vBulletin is not and never has been Open Source. It is Visual Source. There is a difference.

With Visual Source, you get access to the source code and can modify but you are not allowed to redistribute it.

With Open Source, you can redistribute the code base.
                              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...