X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rewind
    • May 2004
    • 3.6.x

How Do I change my domain name?

Hey, I realise that if you want to change your domain, you have to register a new one with a company but once you have done that. How do you alter the VB so that it accepts and changes over to all the new data, so that it like says the new title of your board, links to the emails for that board? I'm new at this and totally confused, so I may be asking the wrong people, should I be talking to the hosting?
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

You can change the domain, contact email, home URL, etc for your forum by editing the settings in your:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details

Comment

• Rewind
      • May 2004
      • 3.6.x

So you do not have to alter any of the PHP files etc, and how does it work like you just change the domain, link it to your name servers and all done, or not?

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Rewind
        So you do not have to alter any of the PHP files etc, and how does it work like you just change the domain, link it to your name servers and all done, or not?
        Yep, that's all there is.

Comment

• Rewind
          • May 2004
          • 3.6.x

Just one last question, does it effect anything changing the domain, like will I loose stuff on my board? If so how do I back up all my stuff so its easy to reupload? Also do I type in the new domain as soon as my new domain is registered or wait for the name servers to connect and then edit it on the admin cp?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Changing the domain name will not affect any data. This assumes, of course, that the name is changed and you are not moving to a different server.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Rewind
              • May 2004
              • 3.6.x

How do you mean by moving to another server, changing hosts completely? Sorry I'm new to all this *blush*

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Why don't you restart by explaining exactly what you are trying to do?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Rewind
                  • May 2004
                  • 3.6.x

Okay here goes, the board I have at the moment is under the domain name of www.imaginary-boards.net

all i want to do is regiseter the new domain name, unsure what it is going to be at the moment, but lets just say www.seven.org how do I do that with out effecting my board. Is it okay to register the new domain with a different company to what I used last time?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

If you are simply changing the domain and not changing servers, then just update the forum URL in ther Admin CP and Memebrs Area.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Rewind
                      • May 2004
                      • 3.6.x

Okay thank you for your help

Comment