Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesfrost
    • Feb 2003

Installing multiple boards

I'm about to expand the number of VB sites I run, from 1 to several. Ideally I want to use the same code base for all the sites to keep things simple from a development / upgrade point of view. However, I am slightly concerned that each site will have a different License number and will therefore either :

need hacking from scratch

or

need a large global search / replace on all the license numbers.

or

I can use the same license number for all forums, as long as I have the correct number of licenses.

Can anyone let me know which is the correct scenario?
  • disassembler
    • Sep 2002

This thread answered those same questions for me.
    Jake has 3 sites using the same forum, with one licence.

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

No, he has 3 domains that all point to one site.

Comment

• disassembler
        • Sep 2002

AHH I should have read that a bit slower lol Thanks

Comment

• jamesfrost
          • Feb 2003

is there an answer then? Ideally I'd just like to buy a second VB licence, and use the same source code for both forums.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Technically you need to use the files (with the appropriate license numner) for each license.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• jamesfrost
              • Feb 2003

can I do a global replace on the license number then, or is there a has somewhere that would prevent this? Or can I get VB's permission to install two copies of the same forum if I buy two licenses.

I'll say please. Pretty please.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Yes, you can globally replace one license number with another. That would work fine.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• jamesfrost
                  • Feb 2003

great - thanks

Comment

• mustang_lex
                    • May 2005

Is the only place you need to replace the license number is at the top of every PHP (well most) files in the whole forums folders ? or is there somewhere else in certain PHP files buried deep in the script?

Comment

• jamesfrost
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by mustang_lex
                      Is the only place you need to replace the license number is at the top of every PHP (well most) files in the whole forums folders ? or is there somewhere else in certain PHP files buried deep in the script?
                      I'm pretty sure it is. However, I've always done a global find/replace across all PHP files in the directory just to be sure. Most decent editors should have this functionality - I personally use Visual Studio 2005 Express Beta, which you can currently download for free : http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

Comment

• weirdpixels
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by mustang_lex
                        I think there are actually a few cases where the license number is within the scripts. I forget what files these are in though. Try a find a replace on all files like jamesfrost suggested and you should be fine.
                        http://www.weirdpixels.com/images/buttons/button.gif

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...