X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackofall
    • Jul 2004

Aup?

Hi

been looking at VB but I am aware you are secific regarding content how does http://www.ed2k-it.com/ stand regarding your AUP?

thanks
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I don't have time to browse through that site right now. Is there particular content you are concerned about? Here's the license agreement:

The Software may not be used for anything that would represent or is associated with an Intellectual Property violation, including, but not limited to, engaging in any activity that infringes or misappropriates the intellectual property rights of others, including copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade secrets, software piracy, and patents held by individuals, corporations, or other entities.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• jackofall
      • Jul 2004

It was your particular interpritation of that part of the license agreement I was interested in. As my site lives in a grey area of legality

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

My interpretation is:

The Software may not be used for anything that would represent or is associated with an Intellectual Property violation, including, but not limited to, engaging in any activity that infringes or misappropriates the intellectual property rights of others, including copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade secrets, software piracy, and patents held by individuals, corporations, or other entities.
        What in particular are you concerned might be a grey area?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• jackofall
          • Jul 2004

The site provides hashlinks for a p2p network (ed2k) used by clients such as emule edonkey etc there are no direct downloads you hashs which tell the clients the size etc of the file.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

In my view this is clearly a violation of the license agreement:

...engaging in any activity that infringes or misappropriates the intellectual property rights of others

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Loco.M
              • Mar 2005
              • 3.5.x

how do u allow torrents but not this ed2k links ?

looks like the same thing to me... ?
              -- Web Developer for hire
              ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

That depends on how it's beiing used. If it's used to share copyrighted materials, then yes.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• feldon23
                  • Nov 2001
                  • 3.7.x

That is a host site for the eDonkey software which is similar to Kazaa. What Jelsoft has to ask themselves is, are they going to take the broadest definition as defined by WIPO, Hollywood, the RIAA, and Congress on this, or are they going to listen to the EFF and other defense teams out there...

With eDonkey, that there is no centralized database and neither the software nor the developer of the software have any control over exactly what the network is used for. Presently, it is used to exchange tens of thousands of GB of copyrighted software and music.

Comment

• djdesi
                    • Aug 2005

hmmm... what i think is that if we a hosting service is allowing to host this stuff.. i dont see any point that it should have any problems with the authority...

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                      • Sep 2001

Not quite sure I understand taht but the news is filled with cases of being sued for having ed2k links or hosting torrent trackers.
                      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Blootix.com
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        In my view this is clearly a violation of the license agreement:
                        I have a question about that. If a user on my forum starts a thread in an off-topic section about where to obtain torrent files, is that in breach of Jelsoft's agreement?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

Not if you delete the message when you are made aware of it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Zachery
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Jul 2002

Torrents themselfs are not illegal, however the content they may distribute could be.,

Comment

• Blootix.com
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Zachery
                              Torrents themselfs are not illegal, however the content they may distribute could be.,
                              More like always are.

Anyways, I archived the thread so no one can see it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...