X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndyL
    • Jun 2004

Upgrade to vBulletin 2.3.5 OR 3.0.1 ?

Hi there,

I am looking to upgrade my [very old] version of vBulletin [2.2.1] to the 'latest' version, however I can see that there appear to be two possible choices, namely 2.3.5 and 3.0.1.

I am tempted to upgrade to the very latest [3.0.1] purely for the fact that it is the most recent/up-to-date but do not know whether upgrading to 2.3.5 is the better option(?).

Any comments, please .... ?

Many thanks,
    Andy
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Well, upgrading to 3.0.1 will require that you at least update to 2.2.9 (run all the concurent upgrade scripts) before you can upgrade to 3.0.1

I would say that in might be in your best intrests to upgrade to vB3 just for the features and functionality.

However, it comes down to prefrence, some people still prefer 2.x to 3.x

Comment

• AndyL
      • Jun 2004

Didn't realise that I needed to upgrade to at least version 2.2.9 before I could upgrade further to 3.x though.

Thanks,
      Andy

Comment

• Rolodex
        • Sep 2002
        • 3.6.x

Zac,

Will I have to manually remove all of the tables in the database for hacks that required a database modification?
        Is it true that "Cannibals" don't eat Clowns because they taste funny? :eek:

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

That depends on whether or not the hacks created tables or fields that are used in 3.0.2.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Rolodex
            • Sep 2002
            • 3.6.x

Ok ... my only concerns are the attachments that are already there. Will their be a conflict exporting them from the database? Reason why I ask is that the new version allows you to export attachments from the database to a folder.
            Is it true that "Cannibals" don't eat Clowns because they taste funny? :eek:

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

Upgrading does not remove any data. Prior to upgrading a vB2 database, you should run the database conflicts script:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment