X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nessa
    • Apr 2004

Animated profile pictures

Hiya

I've searched the forums for this question and I can't find it, apologies if I have missed it.

At the site I'm at we have recently alowed the Profile picture feature are are having a couple of problems with members uploading animated gifs as profile pictures, as we don't allow aminated custom avatars we similarly don't want animated profile pictures either.

We have specified that animated gif profile piccys are not allowed on the uploading page..but...well....ya know....some folks don't read that bit hehe

So we were wondering if there was a way of physically restricting the profile pictures to still jpeg images i-e the system not allowing animated gif pictures to be uploaded.

Thank you for your time

Nessa
  • Scott MacVicar
    Former vBulletin Developer
    • Dec 2000

There isn't a way for PHP to distiguish between an animated gif and a single frame gif unfortunately.

The code is also shared with avtars so you couldn't even simply remove gifs from the check.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Nessa
      • Apr 2004

Okay...thanks anyway.
      We'll just have to be vigilant

Comment

• Lats
        • Mar 2002

You could run a small query to see who is using a custom gif avatar every so often...
        Code:
        SELECT user.username, customavatar.filename
        FROM `user`,`customavatar` 
        WHERE user.userid = customavatar.userid
        AND right(customavatar.filename,3) = 'gif'
        Lats...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...