X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the Sandman
    • Jul 2003
    • 3.7.x

Launch Team

One of the most difficult parts of launching a new Community is getting the first wave of members registered and posting. Often, the Admin does most of this alone, either under their Admin username or through dummy accounts. And we've all seen requests at various Boards asking for help with a launch.

Now, since many of us with existing Communities will from time to time launch new Communities, what if we formed a "Launch Team" - a group of us who go to a new site, register, and make X number of Threads/Posts to give that Community a head start. Think it would work? Think an existing Community going through a dry spell could benefit?

At the Admin Zone we are going to do exactly as I stated above. Anyone interested is invited to join the Launch Team. To do so, you must be a registered member of the Admin Zone. We've set up a Public Usergroup - join via your UserCP > Group Memberships and you will gain access to the private Launch Team Forum where we will be discussing how to set up and implement this new feature.
    The Admin Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators
    Articles - Forum Review
    Interviews:
    KierScottJerryAndreasSteveWayneJakeFlorisLogicianErwin
    Paul M
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

How do you qualify and guarantee productive posts that are on-topic?

Comment

• the Sandman
      • Jul 2003
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Floris
      How do you qualify and guarantee productive posts that are on-topic?
      You qualify by being an Admin of an online Community, a member of the Admin Zone, and by wanting to be part of the Launch Team.

With proper planning and implementation, a group of Admins should be able to do this easily. There will be certain requirements for the Communities receiving the Launch assistance - for instance they must have a Suggestion/Site Feeback forum, an Introduce Yourself forum, and a General Topics forum. In the event that the Community has a narrow theme outside of the realm of things most of us would know about, it will be up to the Admin of the site being launched to let us know what we should be posting about.

There is definitely some work to be done - groundwork to be laid. But this should be a do-able project.
      Articles - Forum Review
      Interviews:
      Paul M

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
        • May 2003

I'm interested but I am still confused.

Maybe a sort of example on how it's done?
        Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Denzo
          • Apr 2004
          • 3.0.0 'Gold'

I'm interested.. Where do i go to register?

Thanks
          Dave
          www.denzoforums.com

Comment

• the Sandman
            • Jul 2003
            • 3.7.x

OK, say there are 100 members of the Launch Team. One member starts a new General Discussion Forum and asks the Team to help launch it. The 100 members, following certain guidelines, each make, say, 10 posts over the course of a week at this new Board. Executed properly, this could jump start the Community and give it a significantly better chance for success.
            Articles - Forum Review
            Interviews:
            Paul M

Comment

• the Sandman
              • Jul 2003
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Denzo
              I'm interested.. Where do i go to register?

Thanks
              Dave
              www.denzoforums.com
              See the last paragraph of my first post above.
              Articles - Forum Review
              Interviews:
              Paul M

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

I joined

Comment

• Chris Gwynne
                  • Dec 2002

Very nice idea. Definitely joining when my forums up.

Comment

• Cloud Strife
                    • Jun 2002
                    • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Are non vB boards eligable?

Comment

• Floris
                      • Dec 2001

I still don't understand how you can ensure that no forum polution or none productive posts are posted.

Users will just sign up and assume a forum is about a certain topic and post whatever they think they need to reach 10 posts or whatever is requested. How can ensure that the quality of the posts made, so we get ontopic, productive posts.

Comment

• the Sandman
                        • Jul 2003
                        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Cloud Strife
                        Are non vB boards eligable?
                        Any interested Admin is invited to join the Launch Team. To do so, you must be a registered member of the Admin Zone. We've set up a Public Usergroup - join via your UserCP > Group Memberships and you will gain access to the private Launch Team Forum where we will be discussing how to set up and implement this new feature.

I still don't understand how you can ensure that no forum polution or none productive posts are posted.

Users will just sign up and assume a forum is about a certain topic and post whatever they think they need to reach 10 posts or whatever is requested. How can ensure that the quality of the posts made, so we get ontopic, productive posts.
                        This is not about mindless power posting. The plan is for a cooperative effort which will include rules and guidelines, for the members of the Launch Team as well as for the site being launched. There will be some form of quality control via internal review. And remember, we are not going to be "for hire" - to get Launch Team support for your site you must be part of the Launch Team for other sites first.

This shouldn't be that difficult for a group of Admins, should it? Anyhow, if you want to discuss this further, come on over to the Lauch Team Forum...
                        Articles - Forum Review
                        Interviews:
                        Paul M

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

Well, you start the thread here, I don't mind discussing a bit here too Anyway, sign me up scotty! I joined the public usergroup. I hope that is enough.

It sounds interesting, and I hope I can participate. It seems nice to help sites help eachother.

The bigger problem I see with sites are 'returning members'. I rather have a core group who keeps it active, then a starting boost (which also helps).

I wouldn't mind having a hack installed on my site that makes me connect to a global chit chat forum where a thread post with replies and users register, also automaticly get added to my own database. This way when you sign up you globally help everybody You sign up, all signed up forums get that member too, and if you post, all forums get that post inserted. This way you work once, enjoy unlimited. If this would even require a paid subscription, so be it. The costs have to get covered I guess. Oh, also, pre-defined subforums for topics like games, etc could be covered - possibly with thread moderation to avoid duplicates or spams, etc. The only thing one has to do is modify a hub.php client.php file on their own vb install so connections can and are allowed to be made remotely for the hub server where one signs up and posts.

Comment

• the Sandman
                            • Jul 2003
                            • 3.7.x

Well, you start the thread here, I don't mind discussing a bit here too
                            OK, I see your point. I didn't mean to say it couldn't be discussed here as well, only that we do have a forum dedicated to the actual planning over there.

Presently, I would classify this as a hypothesis, that a group of Admins could join forces to help each launch each other's Boards. It remains to be seen if it will work. idea > discussion > plan > implementation > analysis of results...

But of course this can be discussed here too if anyone wishes...
                            Articles - Forum Review
                            Interviews:
                            Paul M

Comment

• Floris
                              • Dec 2001

Well, I could at least ask my questions here :P But .. having a central point is great. I will keep my eyes open

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...