• Show
Clear All
  • MrLeN
    • Apr 2004

I will buy a VB licence

I made this post an my own forums. It is titled:

I am angry at IPB management.

I am not using IPB anymore..

I recently went to the IPB site (as I have been since iKonboard) to discuss how I can create multiple forums with one member database.

Basically, my post was closed because apparently "we're not allowed to talk about that sort of stuff anymore, and the members aren't allowed to help each other".

All I have to say is that stinks!

I started complaining about my post being closed and then I was put on the moderation queue, and there after none of my posts have been let through - not even the ones that have nothing to do with the closed thread argument.

I tried "nicely" to PM the person that put me on the queue: No reply.

I sent a message to IPB management, and they told me that I will remain on the queue until they could see "an improvement in my posts".

I had already wrote to them and stated that I will not talk of "helping people or getting help from people" again, but no, they have to make a bloke squirm and feel bad about himself.

Here's the email I sent:

Hi,

I have been posting on your forums since iKonboard first started. I haven't been there for a little while and I went there to ask how I would get multiple IPB's to work with one member database, I was a little confused when I got some basic replies (to my question) but also basically stating that "we're not supposed to talk about that here". I didn't catch on that I had done anything wrong yet, so I just shrugged it off. Next minute, my thread was closed. After being a member for so long and installing HUNDREDS of boards for other people and even hosting them for free for others, basically since day one, and feeling as though I am a part of the "community". So I complained.

I went into the pre-sales part of the forum (Because this is sales related. I feel that this will decrease popularity and therefore, sales) ..and voiced my opinion on the matter and also asked why things had changed to be like this. Not once was I ever insulting or rude or offensive, but my view towards cutting people's posts off "just like that" ..no explanation, no warning was strong. I was really upset. I was accused of being upset that IPB wasn't free anymore, but I tried to defend myself against that, and stated that Matt SHOULD finally get some reward for the years of work he has dedicated himself too. I am all for charging, but not for cutting off peoples posts and deleting them. How many other people has this happened to? Can this be good for business?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, Rikki keeps deleting and or closing my posts. He send me sarcastic [imho] private messages telling me to me more mature and that I should learn how to complain. But in my defense, when I've being treated like that after being a part of the "community" (which apparently doesn't exist anymore, but I've learned the hard way) for so long then of course I'm going to lose the plot.

========PM's

===Q==
    Where did my post go?

===A==
    "In our trash can. You had your rant, we explained the position, you said you'd go somewhere else so we don't really need the topic any more."

===Q==

Can you take me off the moderation queue please. I am trying to reply to posts here. I am not being nasty or offending anyone.

===A==

"The whole point of the moderation queue is that we check your posts before displaying them. Serves you right for pushing your pathetic rants and 'subtle' topics in public I guess."

He is being totally rude, insulting, mean, nasty and he can't work out why I am getting upset.

Other replies..

"It's really quite funny that you think Matt is being brainwashed or something - he's the CEO of the damn company, he makes the decisions. We have 6 full time staff, an office, and 50 servers to maintain. How exactly do you suggest we pay for those if don't push and encourage the license? Allowing people to get free help right on our very own board isn't very encouraging in that respect is it."

Also,

"Your latest little topic has got you the prime seat in our moderation queue. It's clear from the start it's only there for ONE purpose, to make a little point, to try and prove something. We won't have it here."

So, what I am asking is to take my name off the moderation queue, because I have made several "totally unrelated", standard replies to other peoples posts and Rikki is not letting them through at all. I sent him a PM to ask what the point of adding me to the moderation queue is, if he isn't going to process them. He has been on the board (I've seen him) and he wont reply at all now.

I have learned my lesson now. No discussion about IPB problems uless I pay money.

Regards,

Leonard Wass

P.S. My username is MrLeN
    Here's the reply I got:

Hello,

I am unable to see any deleted posts at all of yours (ALL deleted and non aproved posts are moved to a private forum, regardless of the staff's user level, even Matt and Charles in the management group too) since your recent outburst on the forum.

You will be removed from the moderation queue if and when we can see an improvement in your posts, making false accusations and taking our time away from our customers will not help you at all.

When you reply to this, it will automatically re-open.

Regards,

Alex Duggan

IPS Technical Support
    Invision Power Services, Inc.
    So, I cracked the ****s and sent these two replies:

I am starting to get pissed off now!

Do you want publicity? I'll get you some!
    and..

Please delete my name and posts from your board all together!

I want nothing further to do with Invision "power" (ironic) Board!

You should learn not to belittle people.

Your policies, attitude and "newfound" outlook on members stink!

I haven't been so angry with a companies conduct - EVER!

That's all I have left to say.
    Now, I know that it was not nice to be like that, and it is true that IPB is one of the best board online. But never the less, I hate people trying to push me around. I don't care if they have a great product. If they are going to try and be pushy and stop people from having an opinion, and if they are going to be totally rude, dominant and sarcastic, then they can stick their freakin' board right up their arses as far as I am concerned!

I will keep this board running for now, but I am going to convert everything over to VB. Don't worry, you wont lose your accounts (this time).

MrLeN
    MrLeN
    Last edited by MrLeN; Sun 25 Apr '04, 8:36am.
    I'm Kind of a Big Deal
    Hosting (no ads) and "DNS" Domain - Pay Nothing (ever).
    100,000 Text Links. No registration required.
  • mattmecham
    • Mar 2002

Well, that's not exactly how it went.

We replied with this to your topic on how to modify IPB to use multiple databases:

Hello there, according to our records you're not an Invision Power Board customer. If you are a customer please log into your client center and you'll see your IPS Customer Code. Copy that code and paste it into the relevant box in your profile and our system will then upgrade your forums account within the next 30 minutes. This will enable you to receive full support on this board.

If you are not a customer, please consider purchasing an Invision Power Board licence so that you may receive technical support.

You may wish to view our documentation which is available to everyone and can be found here: http://www.invisionpower.com/documentation/showdoc.php

I'll close this topic to prevent any confusion. Once you've entered your customer code and wish to repost this question, please do so in the customer's support forums (visible when your forums account has upgraded). If you're not a customer and have some questions about purchasing IPB, please feel free to make use of the 'Pre Sales Questions' forum.

Thanks!
    And then you started a new topic on our pre-sales forum:

I have not posted here for a little while, but I have been using Matt's boards since the early versions of iKonboard. However, I have realised that something really bas had happened!

What sort of disrespectful, pushy and MENTAL attitude is this?

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...=0&#entry868006

I can tell you something. This attitude is going to create NO sales fort ANYONE. I am totally dumbfounded. What on earth happened to this place?

If new management is trying to "change things around" to make more money, I can tell you - you're going the WRONG way about it. If you walk into a shop to find a pushy salesman would you purchase anything? Most likely not, you'd given them a DIRTY, EVIL look and walk straight out the door.

I am very upset, and this attitude makes me want to NOT purchase jack, just out of spite. I am a web developer, and I always recommend IPB to my clients and employers (which they pay for).

I am not running a profitable business. I am running free site that offer free hosting and free domains. Maybe one day if things improve enough for me to make a profit, I'll purchase an IPB licence, but today I am totally angry with the "new motto" and feel like giving IPB the bird and I'll go and pay VB or something!

PAH!!!!!!!!

question

Why has this forceful attitude been adopted?

Why can't we discuss the board amongs ourselves? It's not like I have personally callad IPB and demanded free support. Really. There's no nice way to say this: THI IS COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY AND ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!

Closing people's threads and getting them angry is NOT a good way to increase sales. You don't have to be very smart at ALL to work that one out.

MrLeN

P.S. Gives an evil look and walks out the door.
    We then decided that you were unable to be reasonable so we removed your ability to continue ranting on our customer board. Standard practise really.

Comment

• MrLeN
      • Apr 2004

Hi Matt,

That's all well and good, but my post was in the Coding and Scripting section of the IPB forums and it was not a support request directed at IPB. I was merely asking how I would get two forums to run with one memberlist database.

ie: I wasn't asking for free support. I was in a discusssion with other IPB forum members until my post was abruptly closed.

If you don't want Coding and Scripting chat, then I suggest that you close the forum down insteadof closing people's posts.

Where I come from, this is considered to be rude.

Would you care to make note of my original post and the simple question that it asked?

MrLeN
      I'm Kind of a Big Deal

Comment

• MrNase
        • Jun 2003
        • 3.8.x

Altough it is nice that you'll buy a vB license i think this discussion shouldn't take place here.
        That's the end of that!

Comment

• MrLeN
          • Apr 2004

I agree. I don't want a discussion with IPB here. That's why I left in the first place. I just wanted to say that I am here now, and wanted to say why.

MrLeN
          I'm Kind of a Big Deal

Comment

• Joe Gronlund
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.8.x

Yaa take it out front,, hold the kicks
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by mattmecham
              Well, that's not exactly how it went.

We replied with this to your topic on how to modify IPB to use multiple databases:

And then you started a new topic on our pre-sales forum:

We then decided that you were unable to be reasonable so we removed your ability to continue ranting on our customer board. Standard practise really.
              I'm not really fond of IPS either. I noticed in a topic people were bashing vBulletin and made a few points:
              • vBulletin is considered the best out there.
              • Many people running IPB or phpBB want to run vBulletin but don't have the funds to purchase a license yet.
              • Microsoft is giving away ASP.NET forums for free and is likely to be a major competitor to both Jelsoft and IPS in the future
              I also mentioned the url to ASP.NET forums 2.0. Soon after a IPS staff member edits the url from my post claiming copyright infringement. After that, people start posting stating that they plan to switch to vBulletin from IPB when they can afford it. Next another IPS staff member closes the thread. Soon after it was deleted.

Matt I have two things to say to you:
              • When you hand out your software for free, you will get people asking questions. If you have a problem with that, either charge for the software or charge for forum membership.
              • You say that Microsoft is infringing on your copyrights with an image that is different when you copied Apple's SnapBack feature pixel for pixel.
              I just had to get that out.

Comment

• xtremeduelist
                • Dec 2003

Umm.. Okay.. But, they hada right to close the thread sence you were asking support wich you need to buy a license to ask for support.

Matt's a good guy, so are the staff, you treat them bad, they won't be like little dog's putting their tails between there legs, they will fight too!

And you -- say Matt is eing brainwashed and want to be taken off of Mod Queue, how odd. So, you insult the CEO of the company, pm them, email them, post again, etc.

I see no pouint in this thread. Just buy vBulletin already.

Comment

• xtremeduelist
                  • Dec 2003

When you hand out your software for free, you will get people asking questions. If you have a problem with that, either charge for the software or charge for forum membership.
                  True.

Comment

• MrLeN
                    • Apr 2004

First off all, you must have been speaking with Alex Duggan or you are him, or you have access to the admin area, because the conversations of brainwashing were via PM.

Secondly, not once did I use the term "brainwashing". Alex brought that up and insisted that's what I was "really trying to say".

Thirdly as I've already stated, I wasn't asking for support. Can't you read?

Look up..

That's all well and good, but my post was in the Coding and Scripting section of the IPB forums and it was not a support request directed at IPB. I was merely asking how I would get two forums to run with one memberlist database.
                    MrLeN
                    I'm Kind of a Big Deal

Comment

• DarkDelight.net
                      • Jul 2003

... and yet another "let's all bash vB's competitors" thread gets closed.
                      Sig? What sig?

Comment

• xtremeduelist
                        • Dec 2003

Let's see..

"How do I use two IPB forum with 1 member database?"

Your saying that's not support, your asking about something about IPB.

Asking a question about IPB > Support

Can't you understand or read?

Comment

• Shining Arcanine
                          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by MrLeN
                          Secondly, not once did I use the term "brainwashing". Alex brought that up and insisted that's what I was "really trying to say".
                          You should have made it clear before that you were not using that term.

Comment

• MrLeN
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by xtremeduelist
                            Let's see..

"How do I use two IPB forum with 1 member database?"

Your saying that's not support, your asking about something about IPB.

Asking a question about IPB > Support

Can't you understand or read?
                            I was not asking IPB. I was asking people in general within the coding and scripting section as I had been participating as such for years.

I didn't call IPB. I didn't send them any emails. I didn't PM any staff. I didn't ask for support from staff. I didn't ask Matt. I did NOTHING that would have cost IPB time or money. I was having a simple discussion with other IPB members.

Closing a thread like that and insisting that I become a customer is nothing short of being pushy and rude.

Asking a question about IPB > Asking simple/general questions about IPB.

MrLeN
                            I'm Kind of a Big Deal

Comment

• nuno
                              • Apr 2001
                              • 3.8.x

Now, now, behave gentlemen.
                              You're my Prince of Peace
                              And I will live my life for You

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...