• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JodoHost
    • Aug 2003
    • 3.0.0 Beta 5

vBulletin 3 Mailer on Windows

Hi

vBulletin 3 refuses to send email from our Windows servers. We have noticed this from our vBulletin board as well as one of our customer's. We've had to switch our board to a linux server for it to work

I tried specifying both localhost and our smtp server as outgoing email in php.ini, yet it doesn't work. What should be php.ini's configuration?

The phpmail function works without any issue when I tested it separately. Does vBulletin use some other mailing routine?
    JodoHost.com
    The People's Host
  • JodoHost
    • Aug 2003
    • 3.0.0 Beta 5

have a look at this:
    JodoHost.com
    The People's Host

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

vB uses PHP's mail() function for all it's email. Try enabling the -f parameter to see if this makes a difference:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Server Settings and Optimization Options -> Enable "-f" Parameter -> Yes
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• JodoHost
        • Aug 2003
        • 3.0.0 Beta 5

I tried that Steve, I tried everything available to me on vBulletin and the server

This is what one of our customer's said:
        I have just changed all the vbmai() function to mail(), some are nessecary some not! and all mail funtions are working now! there are three files need to be modified
        1. register.php ( new member get auto mail notification)
        2. sendmessage.php (send specific page to friends)
        3. funtion_newpost.php (in includes folder; get auto notification when new post in the forum)

if anyone can't get the vbulletine 3.0.0 email funtions work under jodohost, try these changes! bloody hell, took me three days to figure it out though didn't quite know why !!!
        When we were running vBulletin 2.x, the mailer was working fine

You can signup for a Windows Trial account with us or any other Windows host and verify it for yourself
        JodoHost.com
        The People's Host

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

vB3 email is working fine on many Windows hosts. Try the email diagnostics in the Admin CP and report back the results:

Admin CP -> Imports & Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Email

Also, do you have a phpinfo.php file? If not create a text file with this content:

PHP Code:
          <?php
          phpinfo
          ();
          ?>
          Name it 'phpinfo.php' then upload it to your forum directory and post the URL here. This will help us troubleshoot the problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Gooberville
            • Apr 2004

So did this function ever get fixed? because we are having the same problem. I see in the bug reports it says BOGUS. So does that mean that this fix will not work? Or that it was said to be a bad fix. If so why not delete this post so others dont follow down the same path.

We have worked hours and hours and hours on this issue. The pHP.ini file has been changed properly and done over and over with countless retarts of the web server all to no avail. It keeps saying that its default is localhost and no send from. When its there plain as day itself. And uncommented out as well.

Is this a bug that measn it will not work with windows XP servers?

Can someone elaborate on why the php.ini file is not being read? Even though its in the root directory where PHP put it upon installation? Plus we have had a server working for some time now under phpBB and while they have a simple function that says where to put the smtp Vbulletin with all its snazzy features has no function for that at all leaving clueless n00bs fiddling with php.ini files and various config files as in the above with no final tech support message to say where anyone should undertake the above mission to check and see if it will work.

Why not just include the damn function in the board config instead of leaving people in the dust with this problem.

My serverphpinfo file shows the same error as everyone else gets and that is

Warning: mail(): "sendmail_from" not set in php.ini or custom "From:" header missing in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\forums\admincp\diagnostic.php on line 279
            The info file includes the same issue and that is that its seeing only local host even though the file is set to smtp.xxx.xxx and the send feature has the send_from = [email protected]

So what is the problem with this idiotic function? Seems that the php.ini file is somehow NOT being read from the Vbulletin or PHP server even though its run fine under another system albeit phpBB.

It would be nice if you all could answer this question and deal with it so people that fall into this Vbulletin install will know prior to buying it that its long on features and short on the most basic thing a board needs and thats a standard way to send registration emails and emails for board functions.

Without that feature al,one the board and all who put it together are worthless to us and to the many unsuspecting users who fall into this email trap.

Sorry for acting rude or sounding obnoxious but you try sitting for 8 hours in a chair trying to figure this issue out when phpBB has it all done and ready to go out of the download box. This is a STUPID miscalculation on Vbulletins part in our opinion as well as that pesky IMPEX isssue that was just now solved.

Please deal with this because if you dont somewhere you will read about us jumping out the window and or hanging ourselves from the office rafters.

Thus ending our misery and our feelings of dread over loss of work and productivity.

Goober

P.S. Yes I think due to our miserable deaths upcoming I will double post this message as not only here but in a seperate thread that we create. The thinking is we will be dead before you all solve it so whats the difference the complaints will fall on the proverbial deaf ears because we will be on our way to heaven or hell by the time you solve this Yes we would enjoy going back to doing actual work instead of finding and re-doing YOUR work on OUR schedule

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

No need to post this in someone else's thread when you have your own:

Yes thats right I said NIGHTMARE, because I have forgotten what one was like until living in this one. Our double post is here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100771 The problem was here: http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?p=10059#post10059 So did this function ever get fixed? Because we are

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Gooberville
                • Apr 2004

Do NOT do these steps he posts about. READ this link below....

Yes thats right I said NIGHTMARE, because I have forgotten what one was like until living in this one. Our double post is here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100771 The problem was here: http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?p=10059#post10059 So did this function ever get fixed? Because we are

Thank you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...