"Step 28) Import vbulletin-language.xml

MASTER LANGUAGE

Please Wait"

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Before you do anything else, do you have a phpinfo.php file? If not create a text file with this content:

PHP Code:
    <?php
    phpinfo
    ();
    ?>
    Name it 'phpinfo.php' then upload it to your forum directory and post the URL here. This will help us troubleshoot the problem.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ringo47
      • Jan 2004

Steve,

Thank you.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

Your server's PHP is not compiled with XML support which is required to install vB3. Contact your host and ask them to recompile PHP with this:

'--with-xml'

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ringo47
          • Jan 2004

Will do.

Thank you for his fast response!

Comment

• ringo47
            • Jan 2004

Steve,

I contacted my hosting provider with the information/request to do what you told me I needed to do.

I'm on a managed server and they told me that:

1. I should be perfectly capable of running PHP with XML support without configuration changes.

2. It is not possible for them to make the configuration change you specified.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

As far as I know they are wrong and PHP needs to be compiled with the '--with-xml' switch. If I'm wrong then someone else will hopefully correct me about this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• ringo47
                • Jan 2004

&quot;If I'm wrong then someone else will hopefully correct me about this.&quot;

Steve,

Right and wrong are most times "relative concepts". As in beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

After several conversations with host/provider, it's been determined that for their managed servers, it is not possible at this to effect "--with-xml" . Part of the problem is that this is a fairly large operation that I'm dealing with (www.1and1.com). Which surprise me as I explained to the tech people that with so many customers, I found it very unusual they had not run into this problem/request before. And it appears that however which way they're doing things, this is not something that can be changed easily.

Bottom line is that I ended up swapping out my manage server for a root server where I have more control over the situation.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

• michaelab
                  • Jun 2003

I'm also with 1&1 (the UK arm, oneandone.co.uk) and looking at my phpinfo I also don't have --with-xml (allthough in the XML section it says "XML Support: active", just as it does on ringo47's phpinfo).

I'm on a shared server with 1&1 so they are highly unlikely to change this. Looks like I won't be moving to vb3.0 for the forseeable future.

I believe there are quite a significant number of people here hosting their boards on 1&1 and unless they're running dedicated root servers which they have total control over then they're all likely to encounter the same problem.

It might be worth a sticky or warning to the effect that 1&1 shared and managed hosts are not compatible with vb3.0. It might also be worth someone from the vB team having a "quiet word" with them

Michael.

Comment

• Pogo
                    • May 2001

Perhaps you can try to delete the Control Panel Help Text phrases from the vbulletin-language.xml before upgrading.

Delete everything from line 5202 - 9222

5199: <phrase name="settinggroup_version"><![CDATA[Version Info and Other Untouchables]]></phrase>
                    5200: </phrasetype>
                    5201:
                    5202: <phrasetype name="Control Panel Help Text" fieldname="cphelptext">
                    9221: <phrase name="usertools_title"><![CDATA[About User Tools]]></phrase>
                    9222: </phrasetype>

9223:
                    9224: <phrasetype name="FAQ Title" fieldname="faqtitle">
                    If you are lucky it might work then.
                    I remember someone telling me that downsizing the language xml helped. And by deleting the control panel help text phrases you nearly cut in in half.
                    this is my sig

Comment

• ringo47
                      • Jan 2004

Michael,

I wished someone would have warned me in advance.

Between not having the 2.x.x users manual available (it was a victim of the VB3 "Gold rush") and then spending too many hours trying to figure out why my upgrade kept getting stuck. Again didn't know whether I had problems because I was changing servers with 2.3.4 and then upgrading to VB 3, had no manual to refer to.

And then having to deal with 1AND1 tech-support telling me that XML was working just fine (XML was but PHP parsing XML was not).

I know this is all part of the "fun" of it all but after 30 plus years of fun I'm due for some less fun and more productive use of my time.

The good news is that I should have gone with a root server to begin with but didn't think I had time or expertise to do so. In hindsight I got the root server up in a third of the time spent finding out that I couldn't use VB3 on the managed server.... such as life...

Comment

• michaelab
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by ringo47
                        The good news is that I should have gone with a root server to begin with but didn't think I had time or expertise to do so. In hindsight I got the root server up in a third of the time spent finding out that I couldn't use VB3 on the managed server.... such as life...
                        I'm considering switching to a root server, if only to get past the ridiculously low 100Mb database limit on shared hosting that 1&1 have. However, like you I'm not sure if I have the time or expertise to do it. What's involved?

I have a fair bit of Unix knowledge but feel that managing an entire server something of a daunting prospect . Do they install Apache and MySQL etc or do you really start from scratch and have to do everything yourself?

Given the number of people having problems with vb 3.0 I'm going to wait a good long while before upgrading. I think I'll wait until the next release at least.

Michael.

Comment

• ringo47
                          • Jan 2004

Do they install Apache and MySQL etc or do you really start from scratch and have to do everything yourself?
                          That was my concern also. I had spoken with several other providers and their version of a root server was basically a black box with an operating system. Everything else was your responsibility.

With root server from 1&1, everything is pre-installed and pretty much ready to go.

I have no Linux or Apache experience and I was able to get my first domain online in about four hours (it should have been half of that but as I said I had no Apache Linux experience).

Administrating server is very easy using Plesk. Plesk takes care of all of your domain issues including database (MySQL), e-mail, FTP, etc..

PHP was configured properly for VB3 right out of the box.

Tech support was pretty good. Dependent on time of day and who you talked with.

The only real negatives are you must maintain backups (unless you want to pay 1&1 to do it, $49/month for 20 Gig.). And you responsible for server security (no hardware firewall).

If you have any experience with Linux and or Apache I would say go for it.

The flexibility is great

Pricing here in the US is $49/month for 40GB HD, 256 K memory., 2GHz Celeron processor with 500 Gig bandwidth per month.

I mean if I could do it I would bet that 90% of those who post on this forum would manage fine.

Hope this helps.

Paul
                          Last edited by ringo47; Fri 2 Apr '04, 6:44pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            • Jul 2000

Unfortunately I do not know of any workaround for this. I'll try to see if one of the Devs can take a look at this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• mark99
                              • Oct 2002

Wonderful, well at least that explains why I can't upgrade either. Still, now I'm left instead with fuming anger at having paid to extend my vB3 lease only to find the host doesn't support it. We can't all afford the time and money needed for a root server, so that's out of the question for me ;(.

I really want to hear from the vB3 team now, specifically whether there's anything they can do at all? 1&1 is a massive pan-european host and I've counted about 10 complaints here so far of the same problem, there must be many more just waiting to surface.

We need an alternative option on the language import step to get around this, some other way of getting the data into the database, perhaps it would work if split up into stages?

I think one other problem might be that the size of the .XML import exceeds the free memory (not space) the server has to run with for MySQL. After all, the LANGUAGE .XML isn't the only .XML import the system performs, why should it be able to do the others and not that one other than the sheer size of file data?

Clearly 1&1 is too damn lazy to fix it their side... arrrggg some staff member please reply!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...