• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snotek
    • Apr 2004

Importer - Discus 4.0

Please see http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ghlight=discus

--

A client of mine is currently running Discus 4.0 and is wanting/needing to convert to another BBS. We are looking into vBulletin but can't see to get any information on conversion.

Conversion for this client is a must as manual reposts would be impossible. This client currently utilizes 4GB is disk space, 90GB/mo in bandwidth, and has over 3000 users.

From searching around on this board it seems as though some conversion scripts have been in the thought process for some time now, but nothing has been posted. Please advise as to the status of these scripts as it will affect our decision in going with your software.

Thanks,
    Ty Lilly
    Snotek Consulting

[email protected]
  • Jerry
    • Dec 2002
    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Snotek
    Please see http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...ghlight=discus

--

A client of mine is currently running Discus 4.0 and is wanting/needing to convert to another BBS. We are looking into vBulletin but can't see to get any information on conversion.

Conversion for this client is a must as manual reposts would be impossible. This client currently utilizes 4GB is disk space, 90GB/mo in bandwidth, and has over 3000 users.

From searching around on this board it seems as though some conversion scripts have been in the thought process for some time now, but nothing has been posted. Please advise as to the status of these scripts as it will affect our decision in going with your software.

Thanks,
    Ty Lilly
    Snotek Consulting

[email protected]
    www.snotek.net
    Are you running Discus Pro with a mysql backend ? I guess with those figures you must be ?

Currently there isn't an importer for Discus Pro, though with the release of the importer system next week. Due to its nature it makes writing new importers very quick so with demand for a Discus Pro importer it could be done quickly.
    I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• Snotek
      • Apr 2004

Yes it's using the backend for SQL. So the importer will be out next week? There seems to be high demand for Discus conversions, any ETA on that specific conversion?

Comment

• Jerry
        • Dec 2002
        • 1.1.x

Originally posted by Snotek
        Yes it's using the backend for SQL. So the importer will be out next week? There seems to be high demand for Discus conversions, any ETA on that specific conversion?
        The main system will be, though not the Discus importer. I will follow up with information as to what importers are comming after the main release.
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• chrisvonc
          • Feb 2003
          • 5.1.x

I would love to be able to suck all the posts from my old Discus forum into my current vB forum. Right now its just a big archive that would definately be a great addition to my knowledge base if I could pull at least the posts in.

I will look forward to more info as it happens. Thanks Jerry!
          Chris von C

Comment

• jacobi
            • Jan 2003
            • 4.1.x

Hello again, friends!

I'm still here and still interested in converting my archived Discus board, or at least the users. My host took away remote MySQL access, making using the spreadsheet-like client for managing importation of information much less convenient (I'm not a programmer).

As I mentioned in the thread that's linked to above, I was lead to believe by Scott that something was in the works, and then... nothing. I would surmise that he became much busier with development of vB3.

While Discus was an "ahead-of-its-time" product with robust features, its PERL nature has made it sometimes difficult to manage, almost impossible to hack, and much slower than a PHP/MySQL-based forum like vBulletin. In other words, I found "greener pastures" here, but it sure would be nice to bring my existing cows over to graze (I don't know if that was the best metaphor, but I'm from Wisconsin, USA -- the dairy state).

It looks like ataraxia might also be interested in such a converter script.

Many thanks again... and I am still amazed at what a stupendous upgrade 3.0 is from the previous version!
            http://www.wdca.org/wdca.ico

Comment

• Jerry
              • Dec 2002
              • 1.1.x

Vote away : http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100464
              I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• jacobi
                • Jan 2003
                • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Jerry
                Um... am I missing something? There's nowhere to vote for Discus. Do we vote for "other?" Please tell me this won't fall through the cracks, into oblivion? If memory serves, there are at least five people I've found on this forum over the past year who've expressed an interest in Discus.

Comment

• Jerry
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 1.1.x

Originally posted by jacobi
                  Um... am I missing something? There's nowhere to vote for Discus. Do we vote for "other?" Please tell me this won't fall through the cracks, into oblivion? If memory serves, there are at least five people I've found on this forum over the past year who've expressed an interest in Discus.
                  DC+ is Discuss Plus, do you mean the flat file system one ?
                  I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• jacobi
                    • Jan 2003
                    • 4.1.x

DC+ is Discuss Plus, do you mean the flat file system one ?
                    There's a Discus Pro, but no "plus." I started with them back in '99, and it's been simply known as "Discus" or "Discus Pro" for awhile (they decidedly don't have a cool acroynm like "vB." That might be why people here are confused.

One of the ways you can find a Discus board on the Net is by doing a search for "Discus." The program has traditionally (i.e., without hacking) required that the program be installed in a directory by that name. In other words, the name is inexorably tied to the program.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/image...ine=1081975376Thanks for the clarification, anyhow. I am excited about the possibilty of conversion. Any chance of changing the name in the poll without cancelling out votes?

P.S. - I'm using the MySQL-powered backend for the userbase.
                    Last edited by jacobi; Wed 14 Apr '04, 12:45pm. Reason: Typo and to add P.S.

Comment

• Jerry
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 1.1.x

My confusion

I'll have to reword the poll or add a new one DC+ Should be "Discus dB" (with the MySQL backend) and "Discus file" as the file based one, or something like that.

I was just trying to differentiate between the file and dB one, though it looks like either version can run with either back end ? I'll have to do some more home work, I've been a bit busy lately
                      I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

• jacobi
                        • Jan 2003
                        • 4.1.x

My confusion
                        I was just trying to differentiate between the file and dB one, though it looks like either version can run with either back end ? I'll have to do some more home work, I've been a bit busy lately
                        Both the file-based and SQL-based use the same structure; and you can very easily (from within the forum's administration/control panel) "toggle" between the two. The SQL only helps parse the users and index. The messages/posts are still kept in a flat file format. Ergo, I think the flat file would be the default people would want; the SQL is simply an "enhancement." Therefore, for the sake of consistency and clarity, I would urge you to just have a "Discus" option in the vote.

Whenever you're ready -- and don't rush: I'm just relieved to hear this isn't completely falling off the radar -- PM me for an administrative password and FTP access to my Discus forum, if you'd like to poke around and experiment. I'll back everything up, and since it's in archive mode, there really isn't too much damage "experimenting" could do. Obviously, importation of user data is priority one, with messages next.

Comment

• Snotek
                          • Apr 2004

To vote or not to vote?

I can't vote. And I'm still looking for that Discus Pro 4.0 conversion. I noticed it's about 5-6 down the line in the poll... how quickly are you guys/gals getting the conversions made?

Comment

• Snotek
                            • Apr 2004

We would like to convert away from Discus so badly that we would consider paying you to get a converter written!

Comment

• chrisvonc
                              • Feb 2003
                              • 5.1.x

LOL.. I would even consider that as well. I just want the messages. All my users have long since recreated their accounts but lots of good tech info still there that would be good to add to the new system.
                              Chris von C

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...