Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jedi
    • Jan 2002

posts loss

I don't know what's happening. 2 weeks ago I've lost more than 4000 posts (on 1 exact board on the forum). That board is getting filled up and today it has lost 1000 more posts.

Last week when it first happened I've prevent access to the ./forums/mods/ (by just simply changed it name) folder (where moderators can prune posts) and now I assume only admins or webmasters can have access to prune post? (is that correct?)

My website is a non-profit site and my other 2 admins (who have root access to the site) have nothing to do to harm his own flesh...

But how my posts were remove??

One more thing, can postings (for example this message you're reading) on these forums (vBulletin) be viewed by non-vB-users (guests)? because they may still see what's I am up to and hacks me more..

Jedi
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

first, contact your host to make sure there is no MySQL weirdness going on.

i highly suspect some one has compromised an admin or mod account, or even a server login. check your admin log in your Admin CP. edit your config.php file so no one can prune the admin log. you should password protect your mod and admin directories, remove your other admins, and change your password. also change the passwords for your server accounts. to be extra safe you can temporarily remove your moderators and delete mod/thread.php and mod/user.php . run your forums like this for a couple weeks, or until you are satisfied the problem is not recurring.

do you have phpmyadmin installed on your server? is that directory protected?

if the problem does not recur duing this period then we can be fairly certain it was a hacker. the next step will be to have your other admins and mods change their passwords (and make sure they are trustworthy). i wouldn't reupload mod/thread.php or mod/user.php since mods don't need to mass prune anyways.

Comment

• DoreenH
      • Sep 2002

Lost Posts Also

I lost all the posts from the last 2 days ??? Can anyone tell me why this happened?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Re: Lost Posts Also

Originally posted by DoreenH
        I lost all the posts from the last 2 days ??? Can anyone tell me why this happened?
        Based on this information - no. Please start your own thread and include all relevant information about your problem.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• jedi
          • Jan 2002

I've noticed that all posts lost happened to be on 1 forum only (1 board on my whole Forum)

To my understanding, this pruning must be carried out by a script of vBulletin, isn't it?
          As far as I can understand MySQL and vBulletin, this can not be the MySQL server problem because posts are stored in the database in the "newer-last" order. And if MySQL went crazy and chopped off a piece from my posts table, that should be posts on several boards (on my forum), not only posts on 1 specific board.

if someone see the md5 string of my password, can he create a cookie on his machine that grants access to my admin account?

thank you.
          I am looking forward to reloading the backup and have another question here , please advise. Thank you.

Jedi

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Admin and Mods can prune posts either directly in the forums or through the Admin and Mod CPs. If you are absolutely sure that your Mods and Admins didn't do this then I storngly suggest you change all their passwords and add htaccess password protections for both the admin and mod directories.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...