X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WishER
    • Jul 2002

Using md5 encryption

Hey guys,

I want to create some other pages for my site to provide image galleries for the members of my site. I want to be able to decrypt the password stored in the user table and compare it to what the user entered in the log in screen. you may ask, "why not just force them to log in through the vbulletins screen?" well there are some limitations to that, i need it to look in a specific way and i want to be able to have a login script that i can use across multiple parts of the site.

I don't want to force my users to store 2 passwords for my site by recreating this myself. if anyone can help, that would be greate.

thanks!
  • GSHelpBoy
    • Nov 2001

You can't.

md5 is a one-way encryption.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Please follow the instructions in my sig to register for vB support on these forums. Thanks!
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Meirion
        • Jun 2001

HelpBoy is right, you can't, but he didn't explain that you are not meant to do it that way.

To check an MD5 password you don't decrypt it and compare to what they entered - it's the other way round.

You MD5 encrypt the password they entered and compare the encrypted 'hash' to the one you have in the db for them. Obviously if it's a match then they entered the correct password.

Comment

• Chen
          • Jun 2001

Please do not provide any further support until the user has registered his username for support. Thank you.
          Chen Avinadav
          Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...